Walavalkar clinches pole in Volkswagen Polo R CupAugust 25th, 2012 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 25 (IANS) Pushing his Race Polo to the extreme, Ameya Walavalkar took pole position for Race 1 of Round 3 of the JK Tyre Volkswagen Polo R Cup at the Madras Motor Race Track here Saturday.
Ameya clocked 2:01.037 and will be joined in the front row by Sandeep Kumar, who finished 0.672 seconds behind. Polo R Cup 2010 champion Sailesh Bolisetti impressed upon his return and will start from third on the grid, 1.395 seconds off the pole time.
Ameya will start on pole for the second consecutive race weekend after claiming pole at the last race weekend in Coimbatore.
Ameya said: “It feels good to pick up from where I left the last round. I managed to get my best time on the opening lap when the tyres were at its best. The start here tomorrow will be important so I have to make sure that I manage to stay ahead going into the first corner.”
Starting second on the grid, Sandeep said: “I am quite satisfied with the result but just could not match Ameya’s great lap. However, I am more confident for the race as I feel the car will be better over race distance.”
Sailesh, the 2010 winner, was quickly on the pace upon his return and is happy to start third on the grid. “It feels great to be back here and even better to drive the all new TSI Race Polo. The car feels a lot more powerful. Qualifying could have been better but am happy to start in third.”
- Impressive wins for Balu, Kutty - Aug 26, 2012
- Veterans rule the roost at JK Races - Aug 21, 2011
- Top honours for Narendran, Bolisetti in JK Tyre racing - Jul 17, 2010
- Clean sweep by TVS Girling in National Racing - Aug 28, 2010
- Hat-trick of wins for Walavalkar - Aug 20, 2011
- Double for Fahad Kutty at National Racing - Jul 29, 2012
- Lotus team second in qualifying session - May 18, 2012
- Sailesh dominates in JK Tyre National Racing - Jun 20, 2010
- Kini clinches Formula Swift title - Dec 18, 2010
- Double for Vikram, Vidyaprakash at JK Tyre National Racing - Aug 29, 2010
- Bolisetti second fastest in British GT qualifying - Jun 10, 2012
- Ameya, Vishnu annex titles in JK Tyre National Racing - Nov 27, 2011
- Double for Rajvirudhan, Feroz Khan in JK Tyre National Racing - Sep 18, 2011
- Rolon honours for Saran Vikram - Nov 27, 2010
- Motorsports: Maiden win for Bolisetti - May 20, 2012