Vuvuzelas part of Commonwealth Games merchandiseSeptember 2nd, 2010 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 2 (IANS) Vuvuzela, the trumpet which was centre of attraction at the World Cup football in South Africa, will blow loud during the Commonwealth Games as it was included in the Oct 3-14 Games’ official merchandise which was finally launched here Thursday after missing several deadlines.
The growing popularity of Vuvuzelas have prompted the organisers to include them in the merchandise list and will be “produced in large numbers.”
The Games merchandise includes branded sportswear like T-shirts, jackets, casual wear, kids apparels; collectibles; stationery; generic items like umbrellas, key-chains, mugs, refrigerator magnets etc.; accessories like caps, bags, wristbands; lifestyle and luxury products as well as cultural and handicraft items.
An initial range of 25 items has been introduced in the market and more products will be added on a regular basis in the run-up to the Games.
Premier Brands, which three weeks back said they are withdrawing as the official merchandising and licensing partner of the Games due to delay in launch, has decided to stick to their contract after re-negotiation.
“The Commonwealth Games are a prestigious event. Our aim is to generate widespread awareness. We are confident that the Games merchandise will become a part of everyone’s emotion and culminate in an experience to relish”, said Suresh Kumar, chairman, Premier Brands Pvt. Ltd.
Olympic bronze medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar launched the merchandise products in presence of Commonwealth Games Organising Committee secretary-general Lalit Bhanot.
“I am happy to be part of the merchandise launch,” Sushil said. “As a Commonwealth Games Brand Ambassador and an athlete, I ask everyone to work together, make the Games a success and enhance the prestige of the nation.”
The Official Games Merchandise range is said to be created to reach out to the masses and promises to be available at the most affordable price.
The products will now be available at stores with the launch of maiden store at the Commonwealth Games office at Jai Singh Road.
In addition, the merchandise will be available at all the competition venues and Games Village as well as at high footfall areas here that includes international and domestic airport terminals, metro stations, selected railway stations and retail outlets.
To increase accessibility the products will also be made available through four ‘Shops on Wheels’. These movable boutiques will visit schools, corporate offices, major residential societies, shopping areas and other public places.
The ‘Shop on Wheels’ will also accompany the Queen Baton Relay for Delhi 2010 to make merchandising available across country.
The products will also be available for online sales. The initial ranges of products launched Thursday are priced between Rs.25 to Rs.300.
The registration for online sales commences from Friday while the transaction will start from Sep 6 onward.
Premier Brands is also in process of finalizing tie-ups with retail chains.
The second phase of sales will see 5-6 new stores being set up in the next few days across Delhi NCR. Over 60 stores will be opened at all the Games venues for the sale of these products. There will also be a high-end range of products available from September 15 for the foreign delegates and players.
- Games merchandising selling like hot cakes - Sep 03, 2010
- Late on scene, Games merchandise does brisk business - Oct 07, 2010
- Shirts, jackets, sofa covers sell in name of F1 - Oct 26, 2011
- Gifted a vuvuzela, Punjab man makes it his business! - Oct 08, 2010
- CWG merchandising partner Premier Brands pulls out - Aug 14, 2010
- Bharti Walmart planning more wholesale stores, Punjab is focus - Aug 06, 2010
- IPL merchandise sales doing well in second season - Apr 27, 2009
- Sahara enters FMCG retail biz on I-day - Aug 13, 2012
- Wrestler Sushil Kumar unveils merchandise for CWG - Sep 02, 2010
- 'The Jungle Book' collection coming soon - Aug 26, 2010
- Manish Arora ties up with jewellery brand (With Image) - Jul 07, 2011
- China probes preserved fruit additives - Apr 26, 2012
- Walmart And Amazon Attracts Customers For Their Best Cyber Monday Deals 2010 - Nov 29, 2010
- Amazon launches grocery home delivery - Jul 07, 2010
- First generation woman entrepreneur of IPL merchandise - Mar 09, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,