Vomiting bug hits Brit players in Doha training camp ahead of Delhi CWGOctober 1st, 2010 - 12:27 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 1(ANI): With less than three days to go for the Commonwealth Games to commence, British athletes have been reportedly struck down by a contagious vomiting bug at their training camp in Doha in the Middle East.
According to The Sun, bosses of the Welsh team have quarantined up to 14 athletes fearing that the virus could spread to the whole party, including Team England and Team Scotland, and ruin British medal prospects.
The setback has come just few days before athletes from all three nations were due to fly to New Delhi for the start of the Games from October 3.
Athletes at the camp in Qatar, who have been infected, include sprinter Mark Lewis-Francis and teenage diving world champion Tom Daley.
The vomiting outbreak was revealed by Welsh pole-vaulter Bryony Raine who has been confined to an isolation room.
“Unfortunately, many members of Team Wales are currently out with illness. When we arrived the Scottish swimmers, who had been here a few days before, were suffering from a bug and it has spread to our team,” the paper quoted Raine, as saying.
“England athletes arrived on Monday night and the first few cases are being reported within their group. Better to get it now than a few days before the event though. The women’s pole-vault final is not until October 12, so we have a while before that,” she added.
The training camp, where the athletics and aquatics teams are preparing ahead of the Games, is home to Britain’s best medal prospects.
A spokesperson for Team Scotland, however, confirmed that so far no Scottish player has been affected by the sickness bug. (ANI)
- Sharapova could carry Russian flag in Olympics - Jun 13, 2012
- Lily Allen gripped by Olympic fever - Jul 31, 2012
- Latest craze at the Games: Therapeutic tape (Olympic diary) - Aug 05, 2012
- Djokovic, Cheruiyot, Barcelona win Laureus Awards - Feb 07, 2012
- Isinbayeva eyes gold in 2016 Olympics - Aug 18, 2012
- With the clouds gone, CWG competitions set to begin Monday - Oct 03, 2010
- CWG Village: Dogs, snakes, unfinished work cause concern - Sep 26, 2010
- Latam nations aim for more medals at London Olympics - Jul 28, 2012
- Christie is my Commonwealth benchmark: Mark Lewis-Francis - Sep 29, 2010
- Pole vaulter Isinbayeva wins French meet - Jul 11, 2012
- Coe, Bubka to be inducted into IAAF Hall of Fame - Jun 25, 2012
- CWG mess: Manmohan intervenes after delegates fume (Roundup) - Sep 21, 2010
- First England athletes arrive in Delhi, to stay in hotels - Sep 24, 2010
- CWG delegates troop in, Hooper clarifies anti-government remarks (Night Lead) - Sep 26, 2010
- Northern Ireland confirm participation in Delhi Commonwealth Games - Sep 25, 2010
Tags: british athletes, bryony, bug hits, commonwealth games, cwg, diving world, including team, isolation room, medal prospects, pole vault, pole vaulter, raine, setback, sprinter, swimmers, team england, tom daley, training camp, welsh team, world champion