Villarreal beat Sporting Gijon, climb out of bottom threeJanuary 24th, 2012 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Jan 24 (IANS) Villarreal climbed out of the bottom three of the Spanish La Liga football with a 3-0 win over Sporting Gijon.
The win lifted Villarreal over Sporting in the league table and Granada, who slipped into the bottom three after appointing Abel Resino as their new coach.
The Monday win was the Villarreal’s first triumph in the league since November and marked the first triumph for new coach Jose Molina, who replaced Juan Carlos Garrido just before Christmas, Xinhua reported.
Villarreal showed a greater urgency throughout the game than their rivals and they got their reward in the 57th minute when striker Marco Ruben, fought his way through the Sporting defence before beating goalkeeper Juan Pablo with a low shot.
Two minutes later Borja Valero, who has been linked with a possible move to Atletico Madrid, scored with a powerful shot from outside of the penalty area and the win was sealed in injury time when Bruno Soriano connected with another shot from outside of the 18 yard box.
Villarreal have 19 points from their first 19 matches of the season, but given that the club is negotiating to sell Brazilian striker Nilmar to Santos and Giuseppe Rossi missing the rest of the season with a knee injury, the club will need to make signings before the end of January to ensure they have enough firepower to keep them far away from the relegation zone.
- Villarreal face Manchester City in crucial Champions League tie - Nov 01, 2011
- Granada sack coach Fabri - Jan 23, 2012
- Villarreal's Champions League opener is must win game - Sep 13, 2011
- Real Madrid aim to keep the goals flowing - Oct 25, 2011
- Injury hit Barca can't afford mistakes in Villarreal - Jan 27, 2012
- Villarreal name Lotina as new coach - Mar 20, 2012
- Villarreal sacks coach Molina - Mar 19, 2012
- Real Madrid to face Sevilla in Spain's Primera Liga - Dec 15, 2011
- Villarreal back to winning ways in Primera Liga - Sep 21, 2011
- Real Madrid look to comeback after El Classico defeat - Dec 12, 2011
- Real Madrid and Sevilla both held to disappointing draws - Oct 25, 2009
- Barcelona beat Sporting Gijon to top Spanish League - Oct 03, 2011
- Real Madrid held to draw by well-drilled Gijon - Oct 25, 2009
- Messi back from India to resume Spanish liga action - Sep 09, 2011
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: abel, atletico madrid, borja, firepower, giuseppe rossi, granada, injury time, jan 24, jose molina, juan carlos, juan pablo, knee injury, nilmar, relegation zone, rivals, spanish la liga, two minutes, urgency, valero, xinhua