VIlla happy to be back in Spanish squadSeptember 8th, 2012 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Sep 8 (IANS) Spanish striker David Villa expressed his satisfaction at returning to international football with a goal against Saudi Arabia.
Villa came on as a substitute for Fernando Torres early in the second half of Spain’s 5-0 thrashing of Saudi Arabia Friday and wasted little time getting his name on the scoresheet as he scored from the penalty spot following a foul on Nacho Monreal, reports Xinhua.
It was the 52nd international goal of his career and the perfect way to cap his return to international football. A broken leg suffered in the World Club Championship in December saw Villa miss the second half of last season and his recovery was too late for him to be called up for the European Championships in the summer.
Spain were crowned European Champions without Villa, but the Barca forward was glad to have made his return now.
“I have not had a good time away from here. I really missed all of this. All of the living with the squad and the good atmosphere,” he said Saturday.
Villa’s goal puts him in line to start as Spain begin their defence of the World Cup, which they won in 2010, with their first qualifying game in Georgia Tuesday.
“I am happy to be here again. I had a bad time not being here and now I have to enjoy it all that I can,” said the striker.
Villa will battle it out for a place in the starting 11 against Fernando Torres, who played his 100th game for Spain against the Saudis.
“It is hard to play 100 matches for any national team and you have to congratulate him, because he deserves it. Fortunately for all of us he is in good form and he is a special player,” said Villa.
- Easy win for Spain against Saudi Arabia - Sep 08, 2012
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Spain to face Saudi Arabia in World Cup warm-up - Sep 06, 2012
- Spain begin World Cup defence with hard fought win - Sep 12, 2012
- The road to Brazil begins in Georgia: Del Bosque - Sep 10, 2012
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
- Del Bosque: Raul could go to Euro 2012 - Apr 14, 2012
- Barcelona striker Villa out of Euro 2012 - May 23, 2012
- Spain prepare for Euro defence with China game - Jun 02, 2012
- Euro 2012 Group C Preview: Ireland may decide who survive - Jun 05, 2012
- Bosque to name Spanish squad after May 25 - May 05, 2012
- Torres defends his selection in Spain's Euro squad - May 29, 2012
- Last chance for fringe players as Spain face Serbia - May 25, 2012
- Euro 2012: Torres wins Golden Boot - Jul 02, 2012
- Coach Del Bosque recalls Torres and Mata in Spanish squad - May 22, 2012
Tags: atmosphere, bad time, barca, broken leg, european champions, fernando torres, good time, international football, international goal, little time, madrid, satisfaction, saudi arabia, saudis, scoresheet, second half, striker, world club championship, world cup, xinhua