Vikas Krishan loses a bout he won five hours earlier (Lead)August 4th, 2012 - 10:27 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS) Five hours after Indian boxer Vikas Krishan was declared winner in his 69 kg pre-quarterfinal bout in the Olympic Games, the sport’s governing body has overturned the decision and awarded it to his American opponent Errol Spence.
The competition jury of the International Boxing Association (AIBA) ruled on an American protest Friday night that Vikas committed nine holding fouls in the third and last round alone and also that the Indian had intentionally spit out his mouth guard in the second round.
The mouthpiece incident, AIBA felt, invites a deduction of four points and that meant the 13-11 decision in Vikas’s favour went for a toss and the American is through to the quarterfinals.
Spence thus can save the US the ignominy of returning home without a medal from the ring for the first time ever if he wins his bout against Russia’s Andrey Zamkovoy Tuesday.
Spence thought he had won the bout, but was stunned to find the referee raising the hand of Vikas. The welterweight from Dallas was in tears as his exit meant that all the nine US boxers are out of the Olympics before the medal round.
“I am obviously thrilled that the competition jury overturned my decision and I can continue chasing the gold medal I came here to win,” Spence was quoted as saying by ESPN.
“I am going to make the most of this second chance that I’ve been given. I can’t wait to get back in that ring Tuesday.”
The US’s worst showing at the Olympics was at Beijing four years ago when they returned with only one bronze.
- Olympics: India to protest AIBA's decision on Vikas - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Vikas Krishan enters 69 kg quarterfinal - Aug 04, 2012
- CAS rejects India's appeal on Vikas Krishan - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Vijay shoots silver as boxer Vikas exits (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Superb Saina wins India's third medal at London Olympics (India Round-up) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Saina wins India's third medal, Paes-Sania out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
- Mary Kom slams level of refereeing at London Olympics - Aug 14, 2012
- World Boxing meet: Vikas lone Indian to reach semis - Oct 06, 2011
- Olympics: Super Saina wins bronze, Manoj Kumar loses (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic boxing: India's Manoj Kumar knocked out - Aug 05, 2012
- Indian boxers need to punch with more meat - Aug 18, 2012
- Vikas enters final of Olympic boxing test event, Dinesh claims bronze - Nov 27, 2011
- Olympic boxing: Kazakhstan's Sapiyev wins welterweight gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Wrist injury forces Vikas to withdraw from Olympic test event final - Nov 28, 2011
- Olympics: Indian boxer Sangwan loses a bout he had 'won' - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: american protest, andrey, competition jury, espn, fouls, four points, gold medal, governing body, ignominy, international boxing association, krishan, mouth guard, mouthpiece, olympic games, quarterfinals, referee, returning home, second chance, spence, welterweight