Vijender stuns Olympic gold medallistMay 28th, 2008 - 5:13 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 28 (IANS) India’s Olympic hope Vijender shocked Athens Olympic gold medallist Bakhtiyar Artayev of Kazakhstan to storm into the semifinal of the Presidents cup boxing tournament in Taiwan. Vijendra registered a 12-7 victory Tuesday in the 75 kg category in the quarter-final of the competition in which only Beijing qualifiers are participating.
Vijender’s victory is a sweet revenge as he had lost a close bout to Artayev in the smi-finals of the Doha Asian Games in 2006.
The Indian flustered his famed opponent with deft movements and fast straight punches and jabs. The Kazakh could not read Vijender’s style and a last minute flurry and hectic trade of punches was not enough to save his day.
Vijender will now meet Angkhan Chomphuphuang of Thailand in the semi-final Friday.
Among other Indian boxers, Anthresh Lakra lost to Dmytro Bulenkov of Ukraine in the 57 kg category.
Jitender went down to Yunusov Anvar of Tajkistan in a hard hitting encounter in the 51 kg category. Dinesh Kumar will take on Uzbekistan’s Abbos Atoeve, current world champion in 81 kg Wednesday.
A total of 126 boxers from 26 countries are competing across the 11 weight categories The semi-finals and finals will be held on Friday and Saturday.
- Olympics boxing: India's Vijender knocked out (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Outlook on boxing changed after Beijing bronze: Vijender - Jun 28, 2012
- Olympic boxing: India's Vijender in 75 kg quarterfinal (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Five Indians stay in gold hunt; bronze for four - Nov 24, 2010
- Boxer Vijender qualifies for London Olympics - Apr 08, 2012
- Vijender to exchange punches with Atoev in World Boxing semi finals today - Sep 11, 2009
- Asian Games boxing: World No.1 Vijender in finals - Nov 24, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender wins gold, India finish with nine medals (Seond Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Olympics: Shooter Vijay Kumar wins silver for India (India Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Vijay shines with silver, Saina's bronze hunt on (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Gold for Vijender, Santhosh settles for silver - Nov 26, 2010
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender wins gold; silver for Santhosh, Manpreet(Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Mary Kom, Vijender a win away from medal (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender within sniffing distance of a medal (Overall Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: anvar, athens olympic, beijing, doha asian games, encounter, indian boxers, jabs, kazakh, kazakhstan, New Delhi, olympic gold medallist, opponent, presidents cup, punches, semi finals, stuns, sweet revenge, tajkistan, weight categories, world champion