Vijender finishes with bronze in President’s Cup boxingMay 31st, 2008 - 12:28 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 30 (IANS) India’s lone hope Vijender had to contend with a bronze in the President’s Cup boxing tournament after going down to Thailand’s Angkhan Chomphuphu in a controversial semifinal bout in Sinjhuang City, Chinese Taipei (Taiwan). Vijender lost 10-14 to Chomphuphu even as the Indian team complained about the “unfair” tactics of the opponent.
Angkhan got two warnings during the bout for constant blocking and evasion. The Indian team did not take it lightly, registering a complaint with AIBA President Ching-Kuo Wu.
Vijender, the bronze medallist of Doha Asian Games, had beaten Olympic champion Bakhtiyar Artyev in the quarterfinals to make it to the last four and was the favourite to win the title-bout.
Vijender fought neck and neck and trailed by one point for two rounds before Angkhan took the bout away in the last couple of rounds.
Four other Indian pugilists had bowed out at different stages of the event which is being competed only by Olympic qualified boxers.
- Mary Kom lauds AIBA for leaving shorts-skirts choice to boxers - Mar 02, 2012
- World boxing chief awaits bribe evidence from BBC - Oct 07, 2011
- Vijender in semifinals of Arafura Games - May 10, 2011
- Indian boxer Thapa in quarters of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 07, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: World No.1 Vijender in finals - Nov 24, 2010
- Olympic boxing: India's Vijender in 75 kg quarterfinal (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Vijender powers his way to pre-quarters (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Thapa in quarters, Suranjoy out of Olympic qualifiers (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Olympics: Indian boxer Sangwan loses a bout he had 'won' - Jul 30, 2012
- Vikas Krishan loses a bout he won five hours earlier (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Indian boxers Vijender, Jai Bhagwan shine (Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Boxer Shiva enters semis of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 09, 2012
- Vikas enters final of Olympic boxing test event, Dinesh claims bronze - Nov 27, 2011
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender wins gold, India finish with nine medals (Seond Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: aiba, boxers, boxing, bronze medallist, chinese taipei, ching, different stages, doha asian games, evasion, India, kuo, New Delhi, olympic champion, opponent, pugilists, quarterfinals, taipei taiwan, Thailand, title bout, unfair tactics