Vice President Ansari asks Muslims to seek equity, not concessionsOctober 18th, 2008 - 5:26 pm ICT by ANI
Aligarh, Oct 18 (ANI): Vice President Hamid Ansari today asked Muslims to seek equity, not concessions from the government, and said that the community should introspect as a failure to participate in Indias growth story will lead to its marginalisation.
Addressing a gathering of over 500 Aligarh Muslim University alumni from as many as 20 countries, Ansari said the Muslim community should adapt to changing requirements of time and pointed out the need to draw every segment including women into the sphere of education.
This, he said, was the only way out if the Muslim community is to partake in Indias historic growth story.
We as a community have failed to appreciate the need for education for all sections. Our illiteracy levels continue to remain above the national level and we continue to lag behind in ensuring education at the primary level and for women, the Vice President said.
Rejecting the growing clamour for quotas in educational institutions and jobs, Ansari said the community should seek equity not concessions as seeking specific dispensation will not take us too far.
Let us candidly admit that we have failed to conceptualise the demands of a changing environment and failed to understand that education cannot be sectional, Ansari told the first World Summit of AMU Alumni.
He said Muslims should learn to emulate other communities in adapting to changing requirements of time and utilising the opportunities and sops provided by government. (ANI)
- Seek equity, not concessions, Hamid Ansari advises Muslims - Oct 18, 2008
- Separate AMU union for girls - Sep 02, 2012
- AMU, Jakarta university to work closer together - Jun 11, 2011
- AMU elects its first woman in teachers association - May 01, 2012
- AMU, Jamia born with minority character: Salman Khurshid - Mar 12, 2011
- Bangladesh seeks synergy with Aligarh Muslim university (With Image) - Mar 13, 2011
- Provide education to fellow beings: Vice president's wife - Mar 18, 2011
- Bihar transfers land for AMU centre - Dec 30, 2011
- AMU may get Indo-US energy centre - Jun 22, 2011
- Be catalyst for change, Alva tells Muslim girls - Feb 03, 2011
- Pranab assures all help to AMU's new centres - Jun 13, 2011
- AMU committee to identify courses for new campuses - Oct 07, 2009
- AMU founder's 113th death anniversary observed - Mar 27, 2011
- AMU lodges FIR against 27 for using unfair means - Jul 14, 2012
- AMU alumni protest shelving of Bhopal centre - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: aligarh muslim university, ansari, clamour, concessions, dispensation, education, educational institutions, failure, illiteracy, jobs, marginalisation, muslim community, muslims, quotas, segment, sops, sphere, university alumni, vice president, world summit