Vettori to return to shortest format with World T20June 20th, 2012 - 7:01 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, June 20 (IANS) All-rounder Daniel Vettori has declared himself available for the Twenty20 World Cup in September, New Zealand Cricket (NZC) announced Wednesday.
Last year, Vettori had opted out of playing in T20 Internationals to focus on his Test career.
NZC chief executive David White was delighted that Vettori will be available for the mega-event in Sri Lanka and said the former captain will provide valuable experience to the side.
“Dan was the number one-ranked T20 bowler in 2009 and is widely regarded as one of the best T20 exponents in the world,” said White in a statement.
“His availability is a real boost for the Blackcaps with his style of bowling well suited to conditions in Sri Lanka.”
A driving force behind Vettori’s decision to re-ignite his T20 career was his desire to compete in another world event, said National Selection Manager Kim Littlejohn.
“Twenty20 is a format Dan enjoys and the opportunity to be part of a team which competes at a world event is enticing for him,” said Littlejohn.
“He has been encouraged by his team mates, coaching staff and others at NZC and we are thrilled to have him in the mix.”
The preliminary squad for the tournament will be announced July 18.
- NZC focus on workload as teams picked for Windies series - May 04, 2012
- Malinga retires from Test cricket, to play ODIs and Twenty20s - Apr 22, 2011
- Ross Taylor appointed New Zealand captain - Jun 21, 2011
- New Zealand cricketers asked to give views on next captain - Jun 13, 2011
- Vettori takes indefinite break from limited-over cricket - Jun 25, 2011
- Styris retires from international cricket - Jun 24, 2011
- Malinga named ICC ambassador for T20 World Cup - Jun 08, 2012
- Malinga retires from Tests to prolong international career - Apr 22, 2011
- Tensions between Buchanan and Wright in New Zealand cricket - Mar 29, 2012
- Ganguly apprehensive about Yuvraj's comeback - Aug 28, 2012
- Sangakkara banks on home advantage at World T20 - Jul 27, 2012
- Pakistan gear up for Kabaddi World Cup - Oct 22, 2011
- New Zealand Cricket wants Vettori to play 2015 World Cup - Apr 05, 2011
- Vettori retires from Twenty20 cricket - Mar 30, 2011
- James Franklin left out of New Zealand Cricket contract - Jul 01, 2011
Tags: blackcaps, bowling, chief executive, daniel vettori, desire, driving force, exponents, internationals, littlejohn, manager kim, national selection, new zealand cricket, rounder, sri lanka, t20, team mates, test career, twenty20 world cup, wellington