Vettori expected to play in WC quarterfinal against Proteas, Mills outMarch 25th, 2011 - 11:57 am ICT by ANI
Dhaka, Mar 25(ANI): New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori, who missed the last two group games due to a knee injury, is expected to make his return in today’s World Cup quarterfinal against South Africa in Dhaka.
With his knee heavily strapped, Vettori made it through a vigorous training session on Wednesday, although he conceded he might struggle in the field.
“I’m having no problems batting or bowling, but fielding, my knee’s still a bit sore and I suppose it’s just a case, as I’ve said before, about getting a bit braver on it and a bit more confident,” Stuff.co.nz quoted Vettori, as saying.
“If it keeps progressing the way it has, then I’m going to have to hide myself a bit in the field, but I’ll definitely be there to bowl 10 overs,” he added.
Meanwhile, fast bowler Kyle Mills is unlikely to play at the Shere Bangla National Stadium after struggling to overcome his quadricep injury.
Mills had suffered the injury during his team’s Group A game against Canada almost a fortnight ago, and is still battling to bowl at top speed.
He is expected to be replaced in the playing XI by Daryl Tuffey or Luke Woodcock. (ANI)
- New Zealand can challenge in-form South Africa (Preview, Lead) - Mar 24, 2011
- Kiwi captain Vettori and Mills ruled out against Sri Lanka - Mar 16, 2011
- South Africa ahead on form, Kiwis count on Vettori (Preview) - Mar 24, 2011
- Sri Lanka, New Zealand aim to end group stage on a high (Preview) - Mar 17, 2011
- Vettori injury not as bad as first feared - Mar 11, 2011
- Vettori, McCullum, Ryder back in Kiwi squad for Bangladesh tour - Sep 13, 2010
- New Zealand need to overcome inconsistency and injury - Mar 22, 2011
- Black Caps pick uncapped Woodcock in World Cup squad - Jan 19, 2011
- James Franklin left out of New Zealand Cricket contract - Jul 01, 2011
- Rotation taking a toll of Black Caps: Vettori - Feb 01, 2011
- Vettori declares himself fit for World Cup quarterfinal against South Africa - Mar 20, 2011
- New Zealand include seven rookies among World Cup probables - Dec 22, 2010
- Injured Styris eying comeback against India - Sep 14, 2010
- Black Caps move power hitters down the order for ODI against Pak - Jan 21, 2011
- Black Caps boost batting line-up for Napier ODI - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: bangla, captain daniel, daniel vettori, daryl tuffey, dhaka, fortnight, group games, knee injury, kyle mills, new zealand, proteas, quadricep injury, quarterfinal, shere, south africa, top speed, training session, woodcock, world cup, zealand captain