Vettori bestowed with Queen’s honourJuly 30th, 2011 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, July 30 (IANS) Left-arm spinner Daniel Vettori has been named an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit on the occasion of Queen’s Birthday Honours ceremony in Auckland.
Vettori, a former New Zealand captain, was bestowed with the honour for his services to the game of cricket in the country.
The award is given to people who have done remarkable work in the field of philanthropy, music, local governance and community service among others.
“It feels like a real honour. The first time I knew about (the royal honour), it was just a real surprise. I couldn’t get over it,” Vettori was quoted as saying by the New Zealand Herald Friday.
Vettori, who made his debut as an 18-year-old, is the youngest player to have represented New Zealand in Tests. He is one of eight cricketers who have taken 300 Test wickets and score 3,000-plus runs in the international arena.
Vettori has 4,167 runs and 345 Test wickets to his credit. Named skipper in 2007, he resigned from captaincy after guiding the team to the semifinals of the 2011 World Cup.
- Fleming, Vettori bestowed with highest civil honours - Jun 06, 2011
- Vettori considering retirement from ODIs after World Cup - Mar 13, 2011
- Vettori mum on ODI future as Kiwis line up for S.Africa - Mar 21, 2011
- Ross Taylor appointed New Zealand captain - Jun 21, 2011
- Shillingford nabs five but Kiwis battle to draw - Jul 23, 2012
- World Cup win not beyond New Zealand: Richardson - Jan 23, 2011
- Tuffey replaces injured McKay in New Zealand test squad - Jan 05, 2011
- Vettori named New Zealand player of the year - Sep 10, 2010
- Daniel Vettori deemed sexiest by group of Bollywood actresses - Feb 23, 2011
- Vettori on target to face Pakistan in Test series - Dec 27, 2010
- Sehwag give India a strong start (Lunch report) - Nov 21, 2010
- Vettori wants to be a better Test bowler - Nov 03, 2010
- Vettori to miss third ODI against Pakistan - Jan 26, 2011
- Zimbabwe bowled out for 162 - Mar 04, 2011
- Sri Lanka will be tough to beat in Mumbai: Vettori - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: auckland, birthday honours, cricket, cricketers, daniel vettori, debut, international arena, left arm, local governance, new zealand herald, order of merit, queen, remarkable work, royal honour, score, skipper, test wickets, wellington, world cup, zealand captain