Vettel, Webber, Button for FIA awards night in DelhiDecember 4th, 2011 - 7:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 4 (IANS) Formula One World Champion Sebastian Vettel along with Red Bull teammate Mark Webber and McLaren’s Jenson Button are all set to visit the national captial again. This time for the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) Awards Gala Friday.
The awards night will be preceded by the motorsports body’s Annual General Assembly (AGA).
Vettel, who was bowled over by Indian hospitality during his triumph in the inaugural Indian Grand Prix in October, will be officially crowned the 2011 Champion at the dazzling FIA award ceremony which has been moved to India from the traditional venue in Monaco. Only the top three F1 drivers in a season are invited for the extravaganza.
The national capital will also host World Champions of other FIA backed event such as the World Rally Championship, World Karting, Asia Pacific Rally, Formula Two and many more in the function schedule to take place in Kingdom of Dreams in Gurgaon near here.
Matteo Bonciani, FIA’s F1 head of communications, Sunday confirmed that top three drivers of the season Vettel, Button and Webber, will be attending the event.
“It is an event nobody likes to miss. The top three F1 drivers and the winners in respective FIA event are looking forward to come to India,” Bonciani told IANS from FIA’s headquarters in Paris.
“Everyone’s from the F1 fraternity is hoping that they get more time to explore the country than what they got got during the race. The drivers should reach Delhi by Wednesday or Thursday.”
Bonciani added that the though awards night is organised in a grand way, it is meant to be “very private” moment for the drivers.
FIA and Federation of Motorsports Clubs of India (FMSCI) will co-host the event and have planned various activities for the delegates, who will be part of the AGA beginning Monday onwards. Some of the activities include trip to the Taj Mahal, light and sound displays at the famous Red Fort, a visit to the Mughal Gardens of Rashtrapati Bhavan and high tea with the Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dixit.
All the high-profile meetings including the all-important World Motor Sport Council will be held at Taj Palace hotel in the heart of the city.
- Delhi first Asian City to host FIA awards gala - Dec 15, 2010
- Vettel crowned World Champion at FIA Gala, Buddh Circuit awarded - Dec 10, 2011
- Road trip to Agra impresses F1 champ Vettel - Oct 27, 2011
- Chandhok, Gill shone in motorsports (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 26, 2010
- Formula One drivers pay tributes to Wheldon and Simoncelli - Oct 29, 2011
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Indian GP confirmed for Oct 2012, US round also included - Dec 08, 2011
- Hamilton eyes victories in Abu Dhabi, Brazil - Nov 06, 2011
- F1 caricature book released - Oct 21, 2011
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Whats' in a name, but why F1? ask spectators - Oct 29, 2011
- Vettel takes pole, di Resta 10th in Bahrain - Apr 21, 2012
- Vettel gets away with his idiot remark and obscene gesture - Mar 30, 2012
- German GP: Alonso cruises to season's third win - Jul 22, 2012
- Sauber CEO becomes first woman to head Formula One team operations - Apr 10, 2011
Tags: asia pacific, award ceremony, awards night, f1 drivers, federation internationale, fmsci, gurgaon, indian hospitality, jenson button, kingdom of dreams, mark webber, private moment, rally championship, red bull, traditional venue, vettel, world champion, world champions, world karting, world rally championship