Vettel takes pole in Japan, Force India to start from sixth rowOctober 8th, 2011 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Suzuka (Japan), Oct 8 (IANS) Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel claimed pole position in the Formula One Japanese Grand Prix qualifying here Saturday while Force India’s Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta were 11th and 12th fastest.
Vettel, a point away from winning his second consecutive World Championship title, snatched the pole from McLaren’s Jenson Button in the dying minutes of Q3. The German clocked 1 min 30.466 secs to Button’s 1:30.475. Lewish Hamilton in the second McLaren was third with 1:30.617.
Sutil and di Resta, with best laps of 1:32.463 and 1:32.746, respectively, were in the hunt for spots in Q3 right till the end of the second session. But Renault’s Bruno Senna and Vitaly Petrov and Sauber’s Kamui Kobayashi spoiled Force India’s chances, grabbing the last three top 10 positions.
Adrian, however, was satisfied with his effort.
“Overall, I think the qualifying session went pretty well. I was a little bit disappointed to miss Q3 because we were not too far away from it, but everybody knows P11 is a very good place to start, especially because of the free choice of tyres for tomorrow. I was happy with my laps and I don’t think I could have found much more. Also, we opted to do just one run on the soft tyres in Q2, which means I have a fresh set available for the race,” said Sutil.
Rookie driver di Resta was also pleased with his performance on the zippy Suzuka Circuit and said he is confident of collecting some crucial points for the team.
Force India are currently sixth in the Constructor’s Championship with 48 points.
- Vettel equals pole record in Abu Dhabi, Force India secure top-10 finish - Nov 12, 2011
- Webber secures elusive win in Brazil, Force India end season on a high - Nov 28, 2011
- Di Resta, Sutil to start 11th and 12th in Italian Grand Prix - Sep 10, 2011
- Vettel claims pole in Hungarian GP, Sutil 8th fastest - Jul 30, 2011
- Belgian Grand Prix: Force India disappoint, Vettel secures pole - Aug 27, 2011
- Vetell becomes World Champion in Japan, Force India miss out on points - Oct 09, 2011
- Vettel claims another pole, Sutil sneaks into 10th at European GP - Jun 25, 2011
- Hamilton takes maiden pole in Korea; di Resta, Sutil 9th and 10th - Oct 15, 2011
- Italian GP: Di Resta's 8th place puts Force India ahead of Sauber - Sep 11, 2011
- Vettel wins Belgian Grand Prix, Sutil seventh - Aug 28, 2011
- Force India's Sutil and Di Resta 8th and 12th at the German GP qualifying (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Force India disappoint, Vettel wins Spanish Grand Prix - May 22, 2011
- Force India bags maiden Q3 position at Chinese Grand Prix - Apr 16, 2011
- Vettel breaks pole record in season finale, Sutil to start 8th - Nov 27, 2011
- Vettel wins Singapore GP, Force India record season's best result - Sep 25, 2011
Tags: adrian sutil, bruno senna, force india, formula one, free choice, jenson button, kamui, kobayashi, mclaren, pole position, q3, red bull, resta, rookie driver, sebastian vettel, second session, senna, top 10 positions, vitaly petrov, zippy