Verbal confrontations with Aussies ‘normal Ashes banter’: PietersenDecember 22nd, 2010 - 3:24 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Dec 22 (ANI): England batsman Kevin Pietersen has said that the verbal confrontations with the Australian team during the Ashes were nothing out of the ordinary.
Pietersen said he had faced some “pretty big verbal contests” from Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath during England’s previous Ashes tour four years ago.
Australian pace bowler Peter Siddle clashed verbally with England batsman Matt Prior when Prior was dismissed during the Perth Test in one of several heated incidents to come out of the match.
Pietersen said the tension out on the field is no different to any other Ashes encounter. “I think you guys (media) feed them some good lines,” he told reporters.
“They talk a lot. Nothing’s different. There’s not really any big chirpers or big sledgers, it is just England versus Australia. It’s an Ashes series,” The Age quoted him, as saying.
“Blokes get a bit red mist occasionally. You’re allowed to do that on both teams. You’re playing for a little urn. It’s historic. It’s huge. But there’s nothing that’s been overboard,” he said.
Pietersen also said he had goose bumps thinking about playing in front of a possible world-record crowd of 91,000 people on Sunday. (ANI)
- We will be better prepared against Johnson: Pietersen - Dec 22, 2010
- Ashes 2010: Sledging expected to continue - Dec 25, 2010
- Strauss, Pietersen on top of Bollinger's Ashes wicket-taking hit list - Nov 17, 2010
- Pietersen branded 'smarta***' by Johnson - Dec 18, 2010
- Get over it, Siddle tells sore losing Poms - Dec 22, 2010
- McGrath calls for 'chin music' against Strauss to derail England's Ashes campaign - Nov 17, 2010
- 'Rookie' Steven Finn is no 'legend' Glenn McGrath: Watson - Jun 04, 2010
- England have better chance to win Ashes: Tendulkar - Oct 30, 2010
- Captain Ponting under biggest amount of pressure, says Pietersen ahead of Ashes - Nov 22, 2010
- Ashes defeat would end Ponting's reign: Vaughan - Nov 03, 2010
- Boasting Aussies are scared: Pietersen - Dec 23, 2010
- Australian bowlers need to be consistent: McGrath - Jan 04, 2011
- Siddle's six-wicket haul decimates England on day one of Ashes opener - Nov 25, 2010
- Once looking for a fight outside the park, Prior, Siddle are now pals - Jan 21, 2011
- McGrath backs Ponting to lead Australia to an Ashes victory - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: ashes tour, banter, blokes, contests, england batsman, glenn mcgrath, goose bumps, kevin pietersen, match, melbourne, pace, perth, record crowd, red mist, shane warne, siddle, sledgers, urn, verbal confrontations, world record