Venus Williams Wooed Spectators, Clinched Win At Roland GarrosMay 24th, 2010 - 6:12 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Paris, May 24, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Venus Williams raced all the way to victory at Roland Garros as she took over Patty Schnyde on Sunday. It was a straight set win for the seven time Grand Slam champion who has never failed to shine no matter what the ill or the odds are. Back at Roland Garros, several spectators kept their eyes glued on the player who appeared in the tennis court in a black costume all decorated with laces that apparently looked like a lingerie. Needless to mention the match was more of a warm-up session and less of a Grand Slam event match for Venus Williams. She defeated her opponent in a straight set 6-3, 6-3 which does accounts for her power play that makes her unstoppable.
The French Open 2010 holds an immense amount of importance for Venus Williams as this is the only court where she had not been a shimmering performer. As a matter of fact her seven Grand Slam wins are either US Open or Wimbledon titles. However, what hogged more importance than her play was her costume that she wore at the red clay court. When asked about it she explained that her dress dotes upon the theme of “illusion”. She also mentioned that it depends upon her upcoming matches as what costume she would wear at the court.
The 29-year-old player considers French Open to be her unicorn which she has not been able to capture. However, she also struck a positive note saying that if she can keep up her smart play then she might make it to the top in this tournament. Well, that explains her Sunday’s performance which saw her taking full control of the court and working real well on both sides snatching 14 points at the net itself.
- Serena Williams loses in first round first time - May 30, 2012
- Venus Williams' French Open Outfit Triggers Controversy - May 25, 2010
- Wimbledon: Sania-Elena seeded fourth, Paes-Bhupathi third - Jun 15, 2011
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- French Open: World No.1 Azarenka crashes out - Jun 03, 2012
- Errani beats Stosur to reach French Open final - Jun 07, 2012
- French Open champion Li Na wants to 'remain the same' - May 26, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- French Open: Bhupathi, Sania advance to mixed double quarters - Jun 04, 2012
- Azarenka eases into 3rd round at French Open - May 31, 2012
- Stosur can end Aussie women's title drought in French Open: Pratt - May 21, 2010
- We hold the edge in the final: Sania (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- Djokovic confident of winning maiden French Open crown - May 26, 2012
- Sania-Bhupathi claim maiden French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Federer equals Jimmy Connors' record of Grand Slam victories - May 28, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,