Venus pulls out of Australian OpenJanuary 10th, 2012 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 10 (IANS) Venus Williams, the seven-time Grand Slam singles champion, has withdrawn from the Australian Open.
The US star announced Monday she was still struggling to return from the autoimmune disease Sjogren’s syndrome.
Williams said on her website that she has been making progress and plans to return to WTA Tour play in February, reports Xinhua.
“I regret to announce that I am withdrawing from the 2012 Australian Open,” Williams said.
“After several months of training and treatment, I am making steady progress to top competitive form.”
“My diet and fitness regimen have allowed me to make great strides in terms of my health and I am very close to being ready to return to WTA competition. I have every intention to return to the circuit in February,” she said.
The 31-year-old also pulled out of the Auckland WTA tournament last week due to the illness.
- Williams sisters confirm participation in Australian Open - Dec 23, 2011
- Breakthrough opens way for curing auto-immune disease - Mar 13, 2012
- Serena Williams pulls out of China Open due to foot injury - Sep 26, 2010
- Sharapova and Serena pull out of China Open - Sep 30, 2011
- India pin hopes on doubles at Australian Open - Jan 15, 2012
- Murray thought someone was giving birth when Venus Williams was playing - Jan 20, 2011
- Masur defends Venus Williams shock retirement from Australian Open - Jan 22, 2011
- Li Na becomes first Chinese to qualify for WTA Championships - Oct 06, 2011
- Li Na in Cincinnati final - Aug 19, 2012
- Wozniacki set to lose World No. 1 spot - Jan 24, 2012
- US Open: Sharapova, Del Potro cruise; Soderling, Williams pull out - Sep 01, 2011
- Wimbledon: Sania-Elena seeded fourth, Paes-Bhupathi third - Jun 15, 2011
- Zheng Jie makes history by becoming first Chinese player to enter Oz Open semi-finals - Jan 26, 2010
- Venus Williams enters US Open semi-finals for the seventh time - Sep 08, 2010
- Venus Williams turns heads at US Open with latest tennis outfit choice - Sep 05, 2010