Venezuelan lawmakers honour Olympic fencing champAugust 15th, 2012 - 12:37 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Aug 15 (IANS/EFE) Fencer Ruben Limardo has been honoured by Venezuela’s National Assembly for the gold medal he won at the London Olympic Games.
The lawmakers began the congressional session Tuesday by formally recognizing Limardo and the delegation of athletes who represented Venezuela at this year’s Summer Games.
“I am very grateful for the recognition. I always dreamed of winning an Olympic medal,” Limardo told the full session of the legislature.
His uncle and coach, Ruperto Gascon, thanked the Venezuelan people for celebrating Limardo’s victory and the authorities who provided their help to the athlete “in one way or another”.
“This is Venezuela’s triumph and I would like this to repeat itself in all our country’s sports,” added Gascon.
Last week, President Hugo Chavez presented Limardo, Venezuela’s first Olympic gold medalist in 44 years, with a replica of the sword of South American liberator Simon Bolivar.
- Replica of Bolivar's sword presented to fencing champ - Aug 09, 2012
- Venezuela's Limardo wins Olympic epee gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
- Shakira sends autographed guitar to Venezuelan president - May 16, 2011
- Remains of Bolivar are authentic, says Venezuela - Jul 26, 2011
- Venezuela to pull gold reserves out of US, Europe - Aug 19, 2011
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
- Venezuela, Colombia liberalise bilateral trade - Nov 29, 2011
- Chavez vows to come back stronger after surgery - Feb 25, 2012
- Russia, Venezuela sign energy, defence deals - Apr 04, 2010
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Homeless Venezuelans to get homes from government - Oct 11, 2010
- Venezuela releases US ship, skipper (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: athlete, caracas, champ, congressional session, delegation, first olympic, gold medal, honour, hugo chavez, lawmakers, liberator, national assembly, olympic fencing, olympic games, olympic gold medalist, olympic medal, president hugo chavez, s sports, simon bolivar, summer games