Vece Paes slams AITA’s decisionJune 21st, 2012 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 21 (IANS) Olympian Vece Paes has slammed All Indian Tennis Association’s decision to pair his son Leander Paes with World No.328 Vishnu Vardhan at the London Olympics, saying the move was unfair on the country’s highest-ranked player.
AITA announced Thursday that they will send two teams for London. Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna got their way and will be the second Indian doubles team to compete at the London Games.
“Leander will be disappointed with this decision, it is very unfair on him,” Vece told a TV channel. “He is a highly principled as well as an emotional man, so difficult to say which way he will go. I don’t think Leander will agree with AITA’s decision.”
Paes had served a threat Wednesday, saying that he would pull out if asked to pair with a junior player.
Last week, the AITA announced that Bhupathi would partner Paes at the Games. But both Bhupathi and Bopanna, who qualify for the Olympics as a team, refused to pair with the Atlanta Games bronze medallist.
“Things have changed drastically over the past two days. Leander has always compromised while playing for the country. I think now he is tired of doing that.
“Two people are blackmailing the country and this decision sets a bad precedent for others.”
Meanwhile, Krishna Bhupathi, Mahesh’s father, said he was delighted with the men’s doubles decision but disagreed with Leander pairing up with Sania Mirza in the mixed doubles.
“I am thrilled about the doubles team going. Relieved and happy with AITA’s decision. Mahesh and Rohan have a reasonable chance to win a medal. Their chances will depend on the kind of draw they get.
“But AITA’s decision is misleading on mixed doubles. There is no direct entry for Leander and Sania,” he said referring to Sania’s participation which hinges on a wild card.
- Sania tears apart AITA, doesn't spare Paes and Bhupathi (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sania, Somdev get wild card; 7 Indians for Olympic tennis (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sania slams Paes for demanding 'written assurances' - Jun 27, 2012
- AITA picks two teams for Olympics, Paes still unhappy (Roundup) - Jun 21, 2012
- Selector Rohit Rajpal to meet Paes in London - Jun 22, 2012
- AITA keeps players happy; to send two teams for Games (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Paes to play with Vishnu, Bhupathi-Bopanna team up (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Paes serves a threat, AITA defers Olympics selection (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- AITA rejects Sania's claims, says team selected on merit - Jun 27, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Rebel pair of Bhupathi-Bopanna knocked out (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Players should put country first, says Maken - Jun 22, 2012
- Full text of AITA release - Jun 15, 2012
- Krishna jumps in, but no solution for Olympic tennis team - Jun 20, 2012
- Maken retreats; AITA, Bhupathi back to square one (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012
- Paes threatens to withdraw from Olympics - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: aita, atlanta games, doubles team, emotional man, indian tennis, krishna, leander paes, london games, london olympics, mahesh bhupathi, mixed doubles, qualify for the olympics, rohan bopanna, sania mirza, slams, tennis association, tv channel, vece, vishnu vardhan, wild card