Van Persie keen to emulate Maradona’s 1986 WC glory celebrationsJuly 8th, 2010 - 2:50 pm ICT by ANI
Cape Town, July 8(ANI): Netherlands forward Robin van Persie has said his ultimate dream is to emulate boyhood hero Diego Maradona’s way of lifting the World Cup trophy in 1986.
Van Persie also has a photograph of Maradona holding the trophy, which will serve as his inspiration ahead of Sunday’s World Cup final against Spain at Johannesburg’s Soccer City.
“As soon as I saw the video of Maradona lifting the trophy and crying when I was a boy, I was hooked. I can’t tell you how many times I have watched that clip, but since that first moment I have always wanted to play in a World Cup final, even back then when I was just a kid,” The Sun quoted Van Persie, as saying.
“Even now I have a really big picture of Maradona on the wall at home. It is an unbelievable picture of him holding the World Cup. He is on his team-mates’ shoulders and he is holding it with all the passion and stuff,” Van Persie said.
“If we win, I want that same picture with me holding the World Cup - and hopefully having scored the winner,” he added.
He further said the only tinge of regret is that he never got to meet Argentina coach Maradona despite both of them being in South Africa.
“I would have loved to have met him out here, but it wasn’t to be - although maybe I would have been too shy to say anything to him anyway, but I am just thrilled to be in the final. It has always meant more to me than anything else,” Van Persie said. (ANI)
- Netherlands can go all the way: Van Persie - Jun 27, 2010
- Dutch have no worries upfront, but defence vulnerable - Jun 02, 2012
- Maradona in Italy tax row - Feb 16, 2012
- Maradona says his successor Messi's performance will be like 'cherry on the cake' - Jun 12, 2010
- History collides for Argentina (Group B team profile) - May 27, 2010
- Maradona brands Riquelme traitor - Jul 19, 2012
- Maradona best player I have seen in my career: Mathhaus - Jan 15, 2010
- Netherlands crush Northern Ireland 6-0 - Jun 03, 2012
- Neymar can surpass Messi, Maradona: Pele - Aug 19, 2012
- Will Van Persie find scoring touch in World Cup final? - Jul 07, 2010
- Dutch seek inspiration from 1988 Euro win - Jun 10, 2012
- Gullit tips Germany to win Euro 2012 - Jun 07, 2012
- Indian team dedicates World Cup to nation, Sachin - Apr 03, 2011
- Maradona hints stepping down after German knock-out punch - Jul 04, 2010
- We need luck to be World Cup champions, says Messi - Jun 03, 2010
Tags: argentina, big picture, boyhood hero, cape town, celebrations, diego maradona, first moment, inspiration, johannesburg, netherlands, passion, photograph, robin van persie, shoulders, soccer city, south africa, spain, team mates, tinge, world cup trophy