Van Marwijk drops Maduro, Emanuelson in Dutch Euro 2012 squadMay 16th, 2012 - 5:09 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague, May 16 (IANS) The Netherlands head coach Bert van Marwijk has reduced his Euro 2012 squad to 27 members, dropping seven players, including Urby Emanuelson, Georginio Wijnaldum and Hedwiges Maduro.
Left-footed Emanuelson of AC Milan, who has played 15 internationals, was especially expected in the final squad, while Maduro (Valencia CF, 18 internationals) and Wijnaldum (PSV, 2) were also considered as serious contenders.
Uncapped Jasper Cillessen (Ajax), Alexander Buttner (Vitesse), Ola John (FC Twente), Erwin Mulder (Feyenoord), Nick Viergever (AZ) and Stefan de Vrij (Feyenoord) were the other dropouts of the 36-men provisional squad announced Tuesday.
The most surprising names still in the squad are 18-year-old Adam Maher of AZ and Jetro Willems of Sparta Rotterdam, Xinhua reported.
Van Marwijk took his decision after a two-day training camp in Hoenderloo. Thursday the Dutch will go on training camp in Lausanne, Switzerland.
The definite group of 20 field players and three goalkeepers has to be announced before Tuesday May 29.
The Netherlands have scheduled friendly games against Bayern Munich, Bulgaria, Slovakia and Northern Ireland before the start of Euro 2012. The Dutch start the tournament with the group match against Denmark June 9, before taking on Germany and Portugal.
Following is the Dutch provisional squad:
Goalkeepers: Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Maarten Stekelenburg (AS Roma), Michel Vorm (Swansea City)
Defenders: Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart), Wilfred Bouma ( PSV), John Heitinga (Everton), Joris Mathijsen (Malaga), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax), Jetro Willems (PSV)
Midfielders: Ibrahim Afellay (FC Barcelona), Vurnon Anita (Ajax) , Mark van Bommel (AC Milan), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Siem de Jong (Ajax), Adam Maher (AZ), Stijn Schaars (Sporting Portugal), Wesley Sneijder (Internazionale), Kevin Strootman (PSV), Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur)
Forwards: Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Luuk de Jong (FC Twente), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Jeremain Lens (PSV), Luciano Narsingh (sc Heerenveen), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich).
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Van Marwijk includes uncapped Willems, Narsingh in Euro 2012 squad - May 27, 2012
- Uncapped Narsingh and John in Dutch squad against England - Feb 24, 2012
- Dutch have no worries upfront, but defence vulnerable - Jun 02, 2012
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
- Ajax close in on Dutch title - Apr 23, 2012
- Feyenoord secure a Champions League prelim's ticket - May 07, 2012
- Ajax title party delayed despite win over FC Twente - Apr 30, 2012
- Twente crush PSV as AZ move back on top in Dutch football - Mar 05, 2012
- PSV extend lead after win over Feyenoord - Feb 27, 2012
- Can the highly talented Dutch finally win World Cup? (Group E profile) - May 30, 2010
- Ajax move closer to Dutch title - Apr 16, 2012
- Krul, Fer withdraw from Dutch squad for World Cup qualifier - Sep 10, 2012
- Bulgaria stun the Netherlands with win in Amsterdam friendly - May 27, 2012
- Krohn-Dehli strikes as Denmark shocks Netherlands - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: bayern munich, bert van marwijk, fc twente, ibrahim afellay, john heitinga, joris mathijsen, lausanne switzerland, mark van bommel, nigel de jong, rafael van der vaart, sparta rotterdam, stijn schaars, swansea city, tim krul, tottenham hotspur, van der vaart, van der wiel, vfb stuttgart, wesley sneijder, wilfred bouma