Van Gaal to coach Dutch national teamJuly 7th, 2012 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague, July 7 (IANS) The Dutch football association KNVB has appointed Louis van Gaal as the new head coach of the Netherlands national team.
Van Gaal succeeds Bert van Marwijk, who quit after a disappointing early exit at Euro 2012. He signed a contract Friday until the 2014 World Cup and will start his work Aug 1. His first match will be a friendly against Belgium 15 days later. Former Ajax and Netherlands player Danny Blind will be his assistant, reported Xinhua.
“I am pleased that the KNVB has approached me,” Van Gaal reacted in a KNVB press release. “This is the challenge that I was waiting for.”
Van Gaal, 60, previously coached the Dutch national team in 2000 and 2001. He decided to quit after he failed to lead the “Oranje” to the 2002 World Cup.
Van Gaal last worked with Bayern Munich where he won the German double and reached the Champions League final in 2010. However in April 2011 he was fired after a series of bad results. Van Gaal also worked as coach of AZ Alkmaar, Ajax and FC Barcelona.
- Krul, Fer withdraw from Dutch squad for World Cup qualifier - Sep 10, 2012
- Van Gaal open to coaching a club - Nov 03, 2011
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Dutch have no worries upfront, but defence vulnerable - Jun 02, 2012
- Van Marwijk drops Maduro, Emanuelson in Dutch Euro 2012 squad - May 16, 2012
- Van Marwijk includes uncapped Willems, Narsingh in Euro 2012 squad - May 27, 2012
- Bert van Marwijk extend Netherlands' contract until 2016 - Dec 09, 2011
- Sneijder named captain of Dutch football team - Aug 15, 2012
- Uncapped Narsingh and John in Dutch squad against England - Feb 24, 2012
- Only children spectators for Ajax-AZ rematch - Jan 13, 2012
- Suspended Ajax-AZ match to be replayed without spectators - Dec 28, 2011
- Euro 2012: Last chance to change for Dutch team - Jun 16, 2012
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
- Netherlands open World Cup campaign with win - Sep 08, 2012
- Brazilian footballer gets Dutch passport - Nov 03, 2011
Tags: ajax, az alkmaar, bayern munich, bert van marwijk, champions league, dutch football association, dutch national team, early exit, euro 2012, fc barcelona, hague, head coach, knvb, louis van gaal, match, netherlands national team, oranje, Press Release, world cup, xinhua