Van der Sar to stay with Man U for one more yearDecember 12th, 2008 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 12 (IANS) Dutch goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar will stay at Old Trafford for one more year after he signed a contract with Manchester United.The Dutchman has done exceedingly well in the three seasons he has been with Manchester and put an end to the constant criticism of club’s goalkeepers.
The Independent quoted Sir Alex Ferguson saying Van der Sar will give way to Ben Foster or Tomasz Kuszczak in 2010.
“We have agreed a new one-year contract with Edwin,” said Ferguson.
“His experience, temperament, professionalism and performance level have not changed one bit since he has been with us. Obviously, it will be his last year. He will be almost 40 then, which is a great credit to the lad,” he added.
Van der Sar has collected two Premier League titles with the Red Devils and also saved Nicolas Anelka’s penalty to give Ferguson’s men their Champions League shoot-out triumph over Chelsea in Moscow.
He retired from international duty with the Netherlands at the end of Euro 2008, although he has since returned on a one-off basis to help out during October’s World Cup qualifiers due to injury.
- Man U star Edwin Van Der Sar to hang up his gloves in May - Jan 28, 2011
- Van Der Sar agrees to new one-year contract to stay at Man U - Feb 21, 2010
- Van der Sar poised to play for another year at Manchester United - Dec 10, 2009
- Fergie facing Man U keeper crisis - Apr 09, 2011
- Man U keepers on the warpath over alleged lack of advice - Nov 06, 2009
- Ferguson warns Man U players of summer axe - Apr 19, 2011
- Van der Sar says will not back down on decision to retire - Mar 13, 2011
- Alex Ferguson won't blame goalkeeper for draw - Oct 17, 2010
- Fergie ready to offer Dutch keeper role in Man U management - Dec 10, 2010
- Ferguson expects Van der Sar to retire at end of season - Dec 26, 2010
- Liverpool keeper Reina ready to join Man U - Feb 08, 2011
- Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar receives Dutch royal order - Jun 05, 2010
- Man U will have only itself to blame for Premier League title loss: Van Der Sar - May 04, 2010
- Rooney asks Van der Sar to put off retirement plans - Mar 14, 2011
- Fergie looking to land three top summer transfers - Mar 30, 2011