Valencia, Chelsea draw 1-1 in Champions LeagueSeptember 29th, 2011 - 8:55 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Sep 29 (IANS) Valencia and Chelsea drew 1-1 in a Champions League football match at the Mestalla Stadium.
Frank Lampard opened the scoring for Chelsea, who controlled much of the game, but Valencia drew level four minutes from time thanks to a Roberto Soldado penalty.
The main attraction of the game was the return of former Valencia forward Juan Mata just two months after he left the Spanish club to play for Chelsea.
Chelsea took the game to Valencia, pressing high up the field and looking to force errors from the home side, Xinhua reported.
The first mistake came when David Albelda misplaced a pass allowing Fernando Torres a run though on goal only for the Chelsea striker to be brought down by Adil Rami, who was perhaps fortunate to avoid conceding a penalty and seeing the consequent red card, when the referee decided there was no foul, despite Rami making no contact with the ball.
Shortly afterward Valencia keeper Dani Alves made a good save from a Lampard free kick as Chelsea continued to press.
As the first half progressed Valencia came more into the match with Roberto Soldado, who was being watched by Spain coach Vicente del Bosque, looking lively, and Pablo Hernandez sending a shot just wide of the goal defender by Petr Cech.
Dani Alves became Valencia’s hero at the start of the second half with three magnificent saves in three minutes to keep his side in the game, with Torres the frustrated player.
Alves was helpless just before the hour when Lampard scored from outside of the penalty area as the Valencia defence was again caught flat.
Valencia reacted with substitutes Pablo Piatti, Jonas Goncalvez and Sofianne Feghouli all coming into the game and Piatti and Feghouli caused problems for the Chelsea defense, before Jonas produced a fine save from Cech after a cheeky backheel from Sergio Canales.
Valencia drew level after Soldado scored a penalty coming as result of a needless handball committed by Chelsea substitute Saloman Kalou following a corner.
Soldado stepped up and coolly sent Cech the wrong way from the penalty spot.
There was still time for Alves to make a further save from Nicolas Anelka, but the enduring memory was Mata receiving the applause from his former fans at the end of the game.
- Leverkusen shock Chelsea; Arsenal, Valencia win (Roundup) - Nov 24, 2011
- Valencia draw Barcelona in Copa del Rey semis first leg - Feb 02, 2012
- Spain begin World Cup defence with hard fought win - Sep 12, 2012
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Barca beat Valencia to enter Copa del Rey final - Feb 09, 2012
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Key clash in Spanish League as Barcelona visits Valencia - Sep 20, 2011
- Bayern Munich beat Valencia 2-1 at Champions League - Sep 20, 2012
- Valencia face Chelsea in crucial Champions League tie - Dec 05, 2011
- Valiant Chelsea knock Barca out, reach Champions League final - Apr 25, 2012
- Torres defends his selection in Spain's Euro squad - May 29, 2012
- Chelsea reach Champions League quarters after thrilling win - Mar 15, 2012
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- Lampard hails Drogba for Chelsea's historic win - May 20, 2012
- Real Madrid extend La Liga lead - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,