Valcke to return to Brazil for FIFA inspectionsMarch 31st, 2012 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, March 31 (IANS) FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke will be back in Brazil to overlook the country’s preparation for the 2014 World Cup.
Valcke offended Brazil’s Minister of Sports Aldo Rebelo and other Brazilians when he said that the country’s organizers needed “a kick in the back” in order to take the event seriously. After apologizing, followed by a personal meeting between Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff and FIFA president Joseph Blatter, the matter appears to be solved.
In an official statement by Blatter Friday, the president announced that Valcke will remain in his position of secretary general and will soon return to Brazil in order to resume his routine inspections of Brazil’s progress and preparation, Xinhua reported.
Blatter was questioned if he believes Brazil will be able to pull off the world’s largest soccer event and responded by reiterating his faith in the country, especially with the aid of the federal government. However, Blatter affirmed that he and FIFA want to see more action and less talk.
In Blatter’s meeting with Rousseff, the Brazilian president guaranteed that the government would offer financial assistance in order to ensure that everything will be in order and on time for the World Cup.
- FIFA official to return to Brazil next week - Apr 03, 2012
- Ronaldo defends Valcke's criticism of Brazil - Mar 09, 2012
- Brazil request Valcke's removal from World Cup negotiations - Mar 04, 2012
- Bebeto joins Brazil's organising committee for 2014 World Cup - Feb 18, 2012
- Brazil lags 95 percent in 2014 Football World Cup work - May 24, 2012
- 'All in one rhythm' slogan for Brazil World Cup - May 30, 2012
- 2014 World Cup to be best ever: Ronaldo - Mar 18, 2012
- FIFA's secretary-general assures Brazil will be ready for World Cup - Jan 21, 2012
- FIFA raises 2014 World Cup concerns with Brazil - Dec 17, 2011
- Brazil hopes 2016 Olympics will boost industry - Jul 19, 2012
- Ronaldo reveals desire to become president of CBF - Mar 19, 2012
- Brazil to invest in individual sports to boost Olympic tally - Jul 28, 2012
- FIFA names World Cup ball Brazuca - Sep 03, 2012
- World cup hosts Russia better organised than Brazil: Blatter - Jan 21, 2012
- Brazil leases airport to private consortium - Nov 29, 2011
Tags: aldo rebelo, brazil, brazilian president, brazilians, dilma rousseff, faith, federal government, fifa president, financial assistance, jerome valcke, organizers, president joseph, rio de janeiro, routine inspections, secretary general, soccer event, Sports, world cup, xinhua