Uttarkhand, Services in quarters of National VolleyballDecember 15th, 2010 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 15 (IANS) Uttarkhand and Services scrambled into the men’s quarterfinals with last gasp victories in their respective league matches in the Velammal Silver Jubilee Senior National Volleyball Championships here Wednesday.Uttarkhand came up with a big effort to defeat fancied Railways 25-19, 25-21, 30-28 in their concluding Group B league match to qualify for the knock-out stage.
Despite the defeat, Railways, who had beaten Karnataka, joined Uttarkhand and Haryana in the quarterfinals.
From Group A, champions Tamil Nadu, with an all-win record, led the field into the round of eight followed by Kerala and Services, who defeated Punjab 25-15, 25-15, 25-12 in a decisive fixture.
In the women’s section, holders Indian Railways sailed through the league winning all their three matches to top Group A ahead of Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh while qualifying from Group B were Kerala, Bengal and Karnataka.
The other two teams who will complete the quarterfinal line-up will be decided after the play-off rounds on Thursday when the fourth placed teams in Groups A and B will take on the four toppers from the lower tier groups (C, D, E and F).
The results (preliminary league):
Men - Group A: Services bt Punjab 25-15, 25-15, 25-12; Tamil Nadu bt Kerala 25-15, 20-25, 26-24, 25-16.
Group B: Uttarkhand bt Railways 25-19, 25-21, 30-28; Railways bt Karnataka 27-25, 25-18, 30-28.
Group C: Orissa bt Jammu-Kashmir 25-16,25-13,25-15.
Group D: West Bengal bt Goa 25-21, 25-19, 27-25; Madhya Pradesh bt Pondicherry 23-25, 25-12, 25-23, 25-21.
Group E: Rajasthan bt Andaman 25-4, 25-10, 25-13; Bihar bt Assam 25-15, 21-25, 25-16, 25-23.
Group F: Andhra Pradesh bt Chandigarh 25-12, 25-17, 25-19; HimachalPradesh bt Jharkhand 28-26,25-20,25-27,25-14.
Women - Group A: Andhra Pradesh bt Tamil Nadu 21-25,23-25,25-17,25-23,15-5.
Group C: Uttar Pradesh bt Rajasthan 25-13, 25-16, 25-16.
Group D: Uttarakhand bt Andaman 25-20, 25-18, 25-19; Maharashtra bt Orissa 25-7, 25-12, 25-18; Maharashtra bt Jammu-Kashmir 25-5, 25-8, 25-9; Orissa bt Andaman 25-5, 25-15, 25-6.
Group E: Madhya Pradesh bt Gujarat 25-13, 25-21, 25-6; Haryana bt Pondicherry 25-12,25-12,25-15.
Group F: Himachal Pradesh bt Assam 25-6, 25-6, 25-7; Punjab bt Delhi 25-5, 25-19, 25-17; Himachal Pradesh bt Delhi 25-14, 25-14, 25-12; Punjab bt Chhattisgarh 25-20, 25-18, 25-13.
- National Volleyball: Easy win for Tamil Nadu, Railways (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
- National Volleyball: Easy win for Railways - Dec 13, 2010
- Haryana overcome Karnataka in National Volleyball - Dec 14, 2010
- Karnataka, Punjab advance in National Volleyball - Dec 16, 2010
- Kerala spike Haryana, enter volleyball semis - Dec 17, 2010
- Volleyball: Chennai spike Kerala to remain afloat - Jun 07, 2011
- National volleyball: Tamil Nadu, Railways bag titles - Dec 19, 2010
- Kerala men spike Uttarkhand, enter national volleyball final - Dec 18, 2010
- Volleyball: Chennai spike Yanam for title - Jun 08, 2011
- Olympic volleyball: Brazil stunned, US unscarred - Aug 02, 2012
- India outclass Kazakhstan in Asian volleyball opener - Sep 17, 2010
- Australia beat China to qualify for Olympic volleyball - Jun 10, 2012
- Japan defeats Myanmar in Asian volleyball - Sep 04, 2012
- National Basketball: Services stretched by Chattisgarh (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Brazil win 2012 footvolley World Cup - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: andaman, assam, b league, chandigarh, haryana, indian railways, jammu kashmir, jharkhand, last gasp, league men, men group, national volleyball championships, orissa, pondicherry, quarterfinals, rajasthan, silver jubilee, uttarakhand, west bengal, women group