USOC pulls out its bid for the 2020 Summer OlympicsAugust 23rd, 2011 - 7:31 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Aug 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The US Olympic Committee has announced that the country will not bid for the 2020 Olympic Games. The USOC lost the bid to host the 2012 and 2016 events and the committee was expected to place a bid for the 2020 edition.
Cities like Chicago, Dallas and New York all indicated that they wanted to host the 2020 Summer program. USOC’s negotiations with the International Olympic Committee reportedly broke down and the various cities interested in hosting the event have been notified.
The USOC was involved in negotiating revenue-sharing agreement with the IOC. Disagreements between the two sides was deadlocked in talks and the talks eventually broke down, The Associated Press has reported.
Under IOC rules, interested cities are expected to place their bid before the 1st of September. The last time that the United States hosted the four-year game was in 1996 at Atlanta.
London will be hosting the next Olympic Games in 2012. The Chinese city of Beijing hosted the event in 2008 and the manner that the event was hosted has ‘scared’ several cities into hosting the event.
With the current shape of the world economy, not many cities have the luxury of hosting the games.
- Six cities bid for 2020 Olympics - Sep 03, 2011
- Japan to bid for 2020 Olympics - Apr 11, 2011
- Tokyo excited to be in race for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
- Glasgow is Britain's lone potential candidate for 2018 Youth Olympics - Jan 31, 2012
- US, IOC work to iron out Olympic revenue agreement - Mar 28, 2009
- British Olympic Association backs Glasgow as 2018 Youth Olympics host - Feb 23, 2012
- Six cities bid for 2018 Youth Olympic Games - Mar 03, 2012
- Nairobi planning to bid for the 2024 Olympics - Aug 09, 2012
- Madrid officially launches bid for 2020 Olympics - Jan 31, 2012
- Istanbul, Madrid, Tokyo vie for hosting 2020 Olympics - May 24, 2012
- Romario bats for footvolley to become Olympic sport - Feb 11, 2012
- Japan sets up Tokyo 2020 Olympic bid council - Nov 29, 2011
- IOC concerned over progress of work in Rio - Jun 07, 2012
- Rio gets 2012 Games, to put South America on Olympic map (Lead) - Oct 03, 2009
- Bhopal gas victims write to IOC against Dow - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: beijing, chinese city, disagreements, game, international olympic committee, ioc rules, last time, london, negotiations, olympic games, olympics, shape of the world, summer olympics, us olympic committee, usoc, world economy