USA shocks top ranked Spain to reach Confederation Cup finalsJune 25th, 2009 - 12:25 pm ICT by ANI
Bloemfontein (South Africa), June 25 (ANI): The United States pulled off a 2-0 upset win over world No. 1 Spain here in the semifinals of the Confederations Cup.
The US was on the brink of exiting the tournament after two poor performances and facing a nearly impossible formula to reach the semifinals, but after the historic victory Americans are heading to Johannesburg for Sunday’s championship game.
Jozy Altidore, 19-year-old forward who plays professionally in Spain, scored midway through the first half. Americans expanded their lead in the 74th minute on veteran midfielder Clint Dempsey’s goal, ending Spain’s world-record winning streak at 15 and stopping its two-and-half-years unbeaten run at 35.
In the final, the United States will play the winner of Thursday’s Brazil-South Africa match.
The Americans lost their first two games in the group stage to football giants Italy and Brazil. (ANI)
- US stuns Spain to reach Confederations Cup final - Jun 25, 2009
- Americans chasing an African repeat (Group C team profile) - May 28, 2010
- With surprise win, US claim unlikely spot in Confederations Cup semis - Jun 22, 2009
- Americans hoping for one better in South Africa (Team Profile) - Nov 26, 2009
- USA Beats Spain In The Confederation Cup Semi-Final - Jun 25, 2009
- 'Soccer rocks' in US after shock victory over Spain - Jun 25, 2009
- US seek revenge as Ghana fly the flag for Africa - Jun 25, 2010
- Donovan's last gasp goal beats Algeria as US win group (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- Ghana make Africa proud with 2-1 win over USA (Lead) - Jun 27, 2010
- Ghana enters quarter final with 2-1 win over US (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2010
- Goalkeeping blunder costs England victory over US (Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- Americans Hold Up English For A Draw, Stuart Holden Gets Sweet Revenge - Jun 13, 2010
- Biggest US soccer victory since 1950 hailed a miracle - Jun 25, 2009
- Jozy Altidore confident about Anzhi clash - Aug 20, 2012
- Can Bafana Bafana keep host streak alive? (Group A team profile) - May 26, 2010
Tags: brazil, brink, championship game, clint dempsey, confederation cup finals, confederations cup, giants, group stage, half years, italy, johannesburg, poor performances, shocks, south africa, spain, two games, veteran, victory, winning streak, world record