US shifts legal stance on gay marriageFebruary 24th, 2011 - 12:35 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 24(ANI): Gay rights activists in the United States are celebrating another step forward after the Obama administration announced that it would no longer defend the legislation that defines marriage as only between a man and a woman.
Attorney General Eric Holder said in a letter to the Congress on Wednesday that the administration had determined that the Defense of Marriage Act, which was passed by Congress in 1996, discriminated against gays and therefore could no longer be accepted as reasonable, the Guardian reports.
Holder said that the Congress may wish to appoint its own lawyers to defend the law, which bars the federal government from recognizing same-sex marriages or extending them the same benefits granted to heterosexual unions.
The decision comes three months after the White House said that it would end legislation discriminating against gay men and lesbians in the military.
It is expected to spark another row with social conservatives, who are almost certain to launch a legal challenge.
Eight US states permit same-sex marriages, but the federal government does not recognize them.
Hawaii became the latest state to legalize same-sex civil unions on Tuesday, granting gay and lesbian couples the same state rights as married partners. (ANI)
- US Republicans plan legal defense of marriage law - Mar 05, 2011
- UK royals urged to back gay marriages - Apr 25, 2011
- New York same-sex marriage law gives Aussie advocates hope - Jun 25, 2011
- Obama supports same-sex marriage (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Facebook praised for gay relationship status options - Feb 18, 2011
- Marriage is only for a man and a woman: Julia Gillard - Mar 04, 2011
- Colin Powell endorses same-sex marriage - May 24, 2012
- Governor Linda Lingle vetoes Civil Unions bill in Hawaii - Jul 08, 2010
- Federal judge overturns California gay marriage ban (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 05, 2010
- US military chaplains free to perform same-sex marriages - Oct 01, 2011
- Obama supports gay marriage - May 10, 2012
- Vietnam hosts first gay parade - Aug 05, 2012
- Hundreds of gay, lesbian couples say "I do" in New York (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Luxury hotel for gay tourists to open in Mexico - Dec 29, 2010
- Obama endorses gay marriage - May 10, 2012
Tags: administration announced that, attorney general, civil unions, defense of marriage act, eric holder, federal government, gay and lesbian couples, gay marriage, gay men, gay rights activists, gays, guardian reports, legal challenge, lesbians, man and a woman, same sex marriages, social conservatives, three months, white house, woman attorney