US Open: Sharapova, Del Potro cruise; Soderling, Williams pull outSeptember 1st, 2011 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 1 (IANS) Maria Sharapova breezed past Anastasia Yakimova in 70 minutes to advance to the third round of the US Open here Wednesday while Robin Soderling and Venus Williams pulled out due to illness.
The Russian enjoyed a comfortable 6-1, 6-1 victory over Anastasia Yakimova of Belarus in the night session, doing a far easy job from the more than the two-and-a-half hours she needed in her three-set win over Heather Watson in the first round.
Andy Roddick, seeded 21, avoided a first-round upset at the tournament he won in 2003, beating 96th-ranked compatriot Michael Russell 6-2, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5.
Sixth seed Robin Soderling and Venus Williams pulled out of the tournament prior to their singles matches.
Soderling was slated to face Louk Sorensen in his opening tie, but it was over before it began when the Swede was forced to withdraw due to a wrist injury and virus affection.
A couple of hours later, Williams followed up the suit. The American pulled out of her second-round match against 22nd seeded Sabine Lisicki due to an illness called Sjogren’s Syndrome.
In a quick mismatch, Sharapova had 28 winners to two for her opponent. She won 59 points to 32 for Yakimova and saved all five break points against her.
Sharapova, winner three Grand Slam titles, will play No. 26 Flavia Pennetta in the next round.
“The next match is certainly not the final,” she said. “We are in the third round. There are many more to go. It only gets tougher from here.”
“But that is what is so special about being a winner at the end of the tournament. You have to play every match. It is a road. Hopefully, I will get to that stage.”
After breezing through the first two sets against Russell, Roddick began to run into trouble in the third, and then fell behind by a break in the fourth.
Roddick, who turned 29 Tuesday, will next face 18-year-old countryman Jack Sock. Both players hail from Nebraska.
“I was joking with someone today,” Roddick said. “I said, ‘I think we are the only two teenagers to play tennis in Nebraska in the last 30 years, and we are both in the Open’.”
In the earlier matches of the women’s second round, second-seeded Russian Vera Zvonareva had to go through three ragged sets to reach the third round, beating 69th-ranked Kateryna Bondarenko 7-5, 3-6, 6-3.
Eighth-seed Marion Bartoli of France failed to advance, losing to US player Christina McHale 7-6 (2), 6-2.
Australia’s Samantha Stosur, seeded nine, powered off American Coco Vandeweghe 6-3, 6-4.
China’s Peng Shuai, No. 13 of the tournament, dispatched Bulgarian Tsvetana Pironkova in straight sets of 6-2, 6-4.
In the men’s first round matches, 2009 champion Juam Martin Del Potro subdued Italian Filippo Volandri 6-3, 6-1, 6-1 in 1 hour, 28 minutes.
Tenth-seeded Spaniard Nicolas Almagro was eliminated by Frenchman Julien Benneteau 6-2, 6-4, 6-3.
Spaniard Feliciano Lopez defeated Japan’s Tatsuma Ito 6-2, 6-4, 6-4, while 12th-seeded Gilles Simon of France bt Ricardo Mello from Brazil 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- US Open: Sharapova to face Azarenka in semis (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- US Open: Wimbledon champion Kvitova falls at first hurdle - Aug 30, 2011
- Djokovic thrashes Roddick at Olympics - Aug 01, 2012
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic sails into 3rd round - Jan 19, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Stosur to meet in quarters - Sep 03, 2012
- Olympics tennis: Murray eases past Nieminen into round 3 (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- US Open: Top seeds flare up in second round - Sep 02, 2011
- Nadal, Li advance to 4th round at French Open - Jun 03, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sharapova knocked out; Williams survives scare (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Wozniacki, Sharapova, Venus sail into round two of Australian Open - Jan 17, 2011
- US Open: Radwanska, Kerber, Venus ease into second round (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: anastasia yakimova, andy roddick, break points, compatriot, countryman, del potro, easy job, flavia pennetta, grand slam titles, heather watson, maria sharapova, michael russell, night session, robin soderling, sixth seed, sjogren s syndrome, two and a half hours, venus williams, wrist injury, york sep