US Open Golf Standings:Lucas Glover Goes On To WinJune 23rd, 2009 - 6:38 pm ICT by GD
When the US Open Golf Tournament resumed its play for the final round on Monday, it had Ricky Barnes and Lucas Glover leading the standings. Usual suspects and bigger names like Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods were all lagging behind these two unknown players. It was clear that this year the title would go to one amongst these two. Both of them had ended the previous day’s play at 7 under par.
This years US Open Golf Tournament has been marked by incessant rain but it is not the weather that the spectators would remember it by. Rather they would associate the rise of these two relatively unknown players with it. Amongst them Barnes has failed to get into the top-ten of any of the tournaments he has played in this year. On the other hand Lucas Glover has not even made the cut at US Open ever before.
Finally it is Lucas Glover who clinched the title. This 29 year old Southerner is a big fan of the New York Yankees and admitted to being nervous as he went on to say, “I had my knees knocking pretty good on 16, 17, 1and 18.” Glover is a soft spoken man with a penchant for good books and reading. Before the start of the tournament Glover was ranked 71st in the Golf rankings but now he would be moving op to the 18th. Legends like Ernie Els is just behind him at 19th while Zach Johnson and Retief Goosen are at 21st and 25th respectively.While some ardent fans are a little saddened by their favorite Tiger Wood’s performance, they also don’t lag behind in wishing Glover all the best for his future.
- Jeev aiming to dislodge compatriot Chowrasia from top of Asian Tour - Nov 09, 2011
- Vintage Watson, green fees of the old and other memories (US Open diary) - Jun 17, 2010
- Tiger Woods refuses to commit himself to US Ryder Cup team - Aug 05, 2010
- Tee Times Announced, 2010 Master's: Watch Live Online! - Apr 08, 2010
- Chowrasia to lead Indian Challenge in Barclays Singapore Open - Nov 05, 2011
- Woods grabs the headlines - deserved or not - Apr 07, 2010
- Curtis rises quickly in golf ranking, Westwood goes nowhere - Apr 24, 2012
- Atwal misses cut, McDowell leads Mickelson at US Open - Jun 19, 2010
- Randhawa falters to end 19th, Mickelson edges out Els - Nov 08, 2009
- Jeev certain to miss cut; Barnes leads, Woods battles - Jun 20, 2009
- Three-way race to be world's No.1 golfer - Sep 04, 2010
- Jeev makes cut at PGA Championship - Aug 15, 2009
- Jeev misses cut but vows to be back in US Open - Jun 21, 2009
- Woods' 281-week reign as World No.1 to end on Sunday - Oct 27, 2010
- Tiger loses the plot and roar as Majors elude him - Dec 12, 2009
Tags: ardent fans, ernie els, golf rankings, good books, incessant rain, lucas glover, new york yankees, open golf tournament, penchant, phil mickelson, retief goosen, ricky barnes, soft spoken man, southerner, spectators, tiger wood, tiger woods, us open golf tournament, usual suspects, zach johnson