US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semisAugust 24th, 2012 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Aug 24 (IANS) Top seed Roger Federer is drawn to meet Britain’s Andy Murray in the semifinals at the US Open following their duels of Wimbledon and Olympic finals where the two split victories.
According to Thursday’s draw, defending champion Novak Djokovic will avoid Federer and Murray until the final while the Williams sisters could meet in the last four if Venus could go through the second round challenge from Germany’s sixth-seed Angelique Kerber. The German ousted Venus at the London Olympics and ended the 19-match winning streak of Serena last week at Cincinnati, Xinhua reports.
On the men’s side, where Spanish star Rafael Nadal is absent because of continuing knee trouble, the draw set up a possible rematch of the Wimbledon and Olympic finals in the semifinals with Murray and Federer in the same half of the draw.
World No. 1 Federer, who won his 17th Grand Slam title by beating Murray in last month’s Wimbledon final, won five US Open titles in a row from 2004 to 2008.
Federer, who will start against American Donald Young, could face Czech sixth seed Tomas Berdych in the quarterfinals while Murray, who beat Federer for Olympic gold earlier this month at Wimbledon, opens against Russian Alex Bogomolov.
Murray could meet French fifth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the last eight.
Serbian second seed Djokovic, who opens against Italy’s Paolo Lorenzi, could face Argentina’s seventh-seeded Juan Martin Del Potro in the quarterfinals and Serb eighth seed Janko Tipsarevic or Spanish fourth seed David Ferrer in the semifinals.
Del Potro, the 2009 US Open champion, starts against compatriot David Nalbandian and could meet 2003 winner Andy Roddick in the round of 16.
“The draw is something you cannot affect. It’s luck really. You try to focus on what’s in your power. That’s how you play. To think about the semifinals is not the best thing at this moment. There are 128 very motivated players,” said Djokovic Thursday.
In the women’s draw, seven-time Grand Slam winner Venus lurked as a dangerous unseeded floater and ended up in the same quarter of the draw with Polish second seed Agnieszka Radwanska, the Wimbledon finalist, and her sister Serena.
Russian third seed Maria Sharapova and Belarus’ top seed Victoria Azarenka went into the opposite half.
Serena, who opens against US rival Coco Vandeweghe in a rematch of last month’s Stanford final, might could meet Danish eighth seed Caroline Wozniacki in the quarterfinals.
Azarenka begins her campaign against Russia’s Alexandra Panova and could meet defending champion Samantha Stosur of Australia in the quarterfinals.
Stosur begins her title defence against Croatian Petra Martic and would meet a qualifier in round two but could face a fourth-round matchup against China’s ninth seed Li Na or three-time US Open winner Kim Clijsters in the Belgian’s farewell event.
“The first round of Grand Slams you are always a little nervous for sure,” Stosur said.
“I’m looking forward to getting out on the court. You have to make sure you don’t take anything for granted.”
Sharapova, the 2006 US Open champion, opens against Hungary’s Melinda Czink and is expected to meet Czech Petra Kvitova in the last eight.
The tournament will commence Monday at Flushing Meadows.
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Bhupathi-Bopanna seeded seventh, Federer top seed - Jul 26, 2012
- Wimbledon: Murray to face Davydenko in first round - Jun 22, 2012
- US Open: Somdev takes on Murray, Sania plays Peer - Aug 26, 2011
- US Open: Azarenka, Williams showdown for women's title - Sep 08, 2012
- Roundup: Berdych stuns Federer out of US Open - Sep 06, 2012
- Murray storms into US Open final - Sep 09, 2012
- Murray to join Federer in Olympic final - Aug 04, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Stosur to meet in quarters - Sep 03, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- US Open: Rain postpones most matches - Sep 05, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka overcomes Stosur to reach semis (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic to face Ferrer in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: alex bogomolov, andy murray, andy roddick, angelique kerber, david nalbandian, defending champion, donald young, eighth seed, fifth seed, janko tipsarevic, jo wilfried tsonga, juan martin del potro, knee trouble, novak djokovic, open champion, open titles, sixth seed, spanish star, tomas berdych, wimbledon final