US, England qualify for last 16June 23rd, 2010 - 10:59 pm ICT by IANS
Port Elizabeth, June 23 (DPA) The United States and England qualified for the Round of 16 of the World Cup Wednesday, knocking out Algeria and Slovenia.
The US topped Group C by virtue of a last minute 1-0 win over Algeria in Pretoria.
England finished second after they beat Slovenia in Port Elizabeth, courtsey a Jermain Defoe goal in the 23rd minute.
- Defoe gives England win over Slovenia to send them through (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- England through, but dramatic US win sends them on top (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2010
- England need victory in tense Group C - Jun 22, 2010
- United States, Algeria in winner-takes-it-all match - Jun 22, 2010
- Donovan's last gasp goal beats Algeria as US win group (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- Defoe hails England's 'do-or-die' effort against Slovenia - Jun 24, 2010
- Slovenia beat 10-man Algeria to top Group C - Jun 13, 2010
- US draw 2-2 with Slovenia, keep qualfication hopes alive (Lead) - Jun 18, 2010
- England look to Barry for inspiration against Algeria - Jun 17, 2010
- Germany down Netherlands in football friendly, England beat Sweden - Nov 16, 2011
- In stadium, Slovenian joy turns to despair - Jun 24, 2010
- All or bust for Algeria and Slovenia in World Cup - Jun 12, 2010
- Slovenia, US draw 2-2 in gripping match - Jun 18, 2010
- Slovenia beat 10-mn Algeria to top Group C (Lead) - Jun 13, 2010
- Football friendlies: Argentina beat Germany, Brazil thrash Sweden - Aug 16, 2012