Uruguay announce squad for World Cup qualifiersAugust 23rd, 2012 - 3:29 pm ICT by IANS
Montevideo (Uruguay), Aug 23 (IANS) The Uruguayan Football Association has named 27 players for the World Cup qualifiers in September against Colombia and Ecuador.
The list includes stars Luis Suarez, Diego Forlan and Edinson Cavani, defender and captain Diego Lugano and goalkeeper Fernando Muslera, all of whom play in overseas clubs, reports Xinhua.
The only player from the local league is defender Andres Scotti of Nacional de Montevideo. Goalkeeper Matias Aguirregaray, who played in the US for Citta de Palermo, is not attached to any club.
Defender Martin Caceres and wingback Jorge Fucile, who are both injured, are not in the team.
Last week, Uruguay drew 0-0 against France in their last international friendly, extending their unbeaten streak to 18 matches, the longest in their history.
Uruguay, who are in second position in their group, will face Colombia in Barranquilla Sep 7 and Ecuador Sep 11 in the seventh and eighth qualification rounds.
- Suarez, Cavani in Uruguay Olympic team - Jul 10, 2012
- Uruguay announces World Cup team - May 30, 2010
- Germany take third place with 3-2 victory against Uruguay (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2010
- Germany take third place with 3-2 victory against Uruguay (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2010
- Suarez hat-trick in Uruguay's Olympic warm-up win - Jul 12, 2012
- Dutch reach World Cup final after 3-2 defeat of Uruguay - Jul 07, 2010
- No favourites at London Olympics: Uruguayan football coach - Jul 10, 2012
- Uruguay beat South Korea 2-1 to reach quarter-finals (Lead) - Jun 26, 2010
- Uruguay hoping for a repeat of history (Group A team profile) - May 26, 2010
- Germany beat Uruguay 3-2 to take third place (Lead) - Jul 11, 2010
- Forlan double sends South Africa close to World Cup exit - Jun 17, 2010
- Uruguay end Ghana fairy tale, reach semis (Roundup) - Jul 03, 2010
- Forlan ends goal drought with double - Sep 03, 2012
- Uruguayan international Sebastian wants to end career at Nacional - Apr 15, 2012
- Uruguay end African fairy tale, earn spot in semis (Lead) - Jul 03, 2010
Tags: barranquilla, diego forlan, diego lugano, edinson cavani, football association, goalkeeper, jorge fucile, local league, luis suarez, martin caceres, matias, montevideo uruguay, nacional de montevideo, overseas clubs, qualification rounds, scotti, unbeaten streak, uruguayan, world cup qualifiers, xinhua