Unprecedented scenes as India lift Nehru CupSeptember 3rd, 2012 - 12:19 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 2 (IANS) The Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium saw unprecedented scenes as India overcame African giants Cameroon 5-4 in a penalty shootout here Sunday to lift the Nehru Cup for the third consecutive time.
Football fans invaded the pitch as Makon Thierry missed his spot-kick to give India a hat-trick of Nehru Cup titles.
The Indian players were completely surrounded by a massive crowd as police had to be called to disperse them.
“Oh my god! We just beat Cameroon,” shouted an elated fan.
India held the Central Africans to a 2-2 draw in normal time as Sunil Chhetri and Gouramangi Singh found the back of the net.
Neither team could find the winner in extra-time as the match headed to penalties.
Fans, who had chosen to give the Nehru Cup football tournament a miss, came in large numbers to witness history being scripted
With the rain gods being kind, over 12,000 came to witness the final.
“I had to come see the final, India is playing. But it would have been even better if the actual Cameroon international side had come. If Samuel Eto’o, Alex Song and Benoit Assou-Ekotto were here that would have been great,” Siddharth Arora, a student, told IANS.
It was the most vociferous support India has got in the tournament.
Flag waving, trumpet blowing and drum beating echoed throughout the ground with every touch of the ball by an Indian player cheered loudly.
There was more good news for the Indian team as president of the All India Football Federation (AIFF) Praful Patel doubled the winning prize money from $100,000 to $200,000.
- Crowds finally turn up for Nehru Cup final - Sep 02, 2012
- India lift Nehru Cup for third time in thrilling fashion (Lead) - Sep 02, 2012
- Cameroon reduce Eto'o 15-match suspension to 8 months - Jan 08, 2012
- Cameroon footballers want to play in India's I-League - Sep 04, 2012
- Van Persie scores as Dutch win (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2010
- Van Persie scores as Dutch win and top Group F (Lead) - Jun 25, 2010
- Football fans give Nehru Cup a miss - Aug 24, 2012
- Nehru Cup: Cameroon edge India 1-0 - Aug 31, 2012
- Nehru Cup: Cameroon outclass Nepal 5-0 - Aug 26, 2012
- Nehru Cup: Cameroon outclass Nepal 5-0 (Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- Spurs defender brands Rooney as "a dirty prostitute sha**er" - Oct 30, 2010
- Bolton striker Ngog to join Cameroon squad - Mar 13, 2012
- India 169th in Fifa rankings - Sep 05, 2012
- Roger Milla dismissed as honorary president - May 18, 2012
- India and Cameroon will be on a recce before Nehru Cup final (Preview) - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: aiff, back of the net, central africans, consecutive time, cup titles, football fans, football federation, jawaharlal nehru, jawaharlal nehru stadium, makon, massive crowd, nehru cup football, nehru cup football tournament, penalty shootout, praful patel, rain gods, samuel eto o, siddharth, support india, time football