Unmukt allowed to move to second year: VC (Lead)August 31st, 2012 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 31 (IANS) U-19 cricket World Cup winning captain Unmukt Chand has been allowed to move to his second year at St. Stephen’s College, but he has to clear his first year exams, Delhi University Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh said Friday.
Singh said Unmukt would have to clear his second semester exam of the first year after he is promoted to second year. He will also have to simultaneously clear his second year exams.
Unmukt, a BA student who had got admission in college in the sports category, was not allowed to take his second semester exams due to low attendance.
“Under the proposed structure - that is expected to be placed before the academic council in a couple of months - participation in sports activities will be accorded credit and the students will have the choice of replacing some of the academic courses with a structured recognition of participation towards his/her degree,” Singh said.
However, the vice chancellor made it clear that there would be no escape from studies for Unmukt.
Giving an example, he said a student of mathematics honours can not say he wants the degree without studying the subject.
Earlier, the vice chancellor had written to Sports Minister Ajay Maken assuring him that he would look into the case of Unmukt.
HRD minister Kapil Sibal had Thursday spoken to the vice chancellor and urged him to resolve the matter on priority.
According to Delhi University rules, a student must have at least 33.3 per cent attendance in an academic session after all exemptions.
Unmukt had earlier approached the Delhi High Court to sit for his exams. But since he was late in approaching the court, he could appear in only two exams out of four.
According to university rules, a student should pass 50 percent of all exams in both semesters combined to move on to the next year of the course.
The next hearing is slated for Sep 16. Unmukt’s results have been withheld on the court’s direction.
- Sibal backs Unmukt, requests DU to allow him for exam - Aug 31, 2012
- Sports minister to bat for Unmukt at Delhi University (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Flunked by college, Unmukt finds support in Dhoni - Aug 30, 2012
- The questions that Unmukt Chand raised (Comment) - Sep 02, 2012
- Court reserves order against DU teachers - May 12, 2011
- Osmania University revises exam schedule following student protests - Feb 26, 2011
- Court questions Delhi University on semester system (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Semester system unsatisfactory: Delhi University teachers - Apr 19, 2011
- Apex court declines plea against Delhi varsity semester system - May 30, 2011
- No talks till agitation ends: Delhi varsity VC - May 17, 2010
- Common admission test for B-schools now - Dec 05, 2011
- DU teachers suggest open debate to resolve semester row - Jun 04, 2010
- Delhi varsity, teachers issued notice on semester system - Oct 27, 2010
- Court allows IPL cricketer to sit for exam - May 15, 2012
- Jamia Millia Islamia to have China and Afghan studies programmes - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: academic council, academic courses, academic session, ajay, ba student, chand, cricket world cup, delhi high court, delhi university, dinesh, hrd minister, kapil sibal, low attendance, s college, second semester, semester exam, semester exams, semesters, sports activities, vice chancellor