Under-19 cricketers’ welcome ends in chaos in KolkataAugust 29th, 2012 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 29 (IANS) A heroes’ welcome to two members of India’s Under-19 World Cup winning squad ended in chaos Wednesday following an ugly quarrel between the police and a group of fans.
A host of Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) officials and a large number of East Bengal fan club members were present at the NSC Bose International Airport here to greet Ravikant Singh and Sandipan Das, the two cricketers from Bengal who were in the winning squad.
With 12 wickets, Ravikant finished as the most successful Indian bowler in the tournament played in Australia.
Such was the mad rush of fans that family members of the two cricketers were pushed to the sidelines.
The security personnel moved in soon to prevent untoward incidents and there ensued bitter exchanges between them and the sports fans, robbing the felicitation of much of its shine.
The police quickly escorted the duo to their cars, cutting the celebrations short.
Ravikant later said it was the happiest moment of his life.
“We were over the moon. Never in my life was I so happy,” he said.
He gave credit to skipper Unmukt Chand for reposing faith in him.
“I owe a lot to captain Unmukt (Chand). I came into the team as a replacement but he showed faith in me and gave me confidence. Unmukt is a batsman, but he is a bowlers’ captain,” Ravikant said.
- Chand to lead India in U-19 cricket World Cup - Jul 03, 2012
- Uttarakhand's Rs.11 lakh for Unmukt Chand - Aug 29, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: India pip Pakistan to enter semis (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Unmukt hopes for an amicable solution with St. Stephen's - Aug 31, 2012
- Chand to lead India in U-19 Asia Cup - Jun 04, 2012
- Mukund named India A captain for New Zealand tour - Aug 10, 2012
- Indian diaspora basks in U-19 win glory - Aug 30, 2012
- 16 teams named for next month's U-19 cricket World Cup - Jul 12, 2012
- India seniors laud U-19 World Champions - Aug 26, 2012
- CAB felicitates Indian team for Eden's maiden T20 - Oct 29, 2011
- CAB trying to rope in Kapil as bowling consultant - Jul 28, 2012
- The questions that Unmukt Chand raised (Comment) - Sep 02, 2012
- Unmukt allowed to move to second year: VC (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- ICC U-19 World Cup Final: Australia lock horns with India (Preview) - Aug 25, 2012
- India U-19 cricket team gets heroes welcome - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: batsman, bengal fan, bose, celebrations, chand, cricket association of bengal, cricketers, east bengal, family members, fan club members, felicitation, kolkata, mad rush, nsc, quarrel, security personnel, sidelines, sports fans, wickets, world cup