Unchartered ground ahead as Roddick makes Paris Open’s second weekMay 30th, 2009 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 30 (DPA) Sixth seed Andy Roddick bolted into the second week of the French Open for the first time in his career, crushing Marc Gicquel 6-1, 6-4, 6-4 with a third successive straight sets victory.
The American, who had never made an impression on the red clay of Roland Garros, has been in superb touch this week as he awaits a Monday opponent from French 11th seed Gael Monfils and Austrian Jurgen Melzer.
Roddick is the last American man remaining in the Paris field after earning his first wins at the venue since 2005 during week one, all in sweeping style.
The 26-year-old missed last year’s edition with a shoulder injury after first-round losses in 2006 and 2007.
Roddick and Gicquel both fired a modest seven aces as the American improved his record over the Frenchman to 4-0.
One-time world number two Tommy Haas also continued a hot streak on another sunnny day in Paris with his 7-5, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 elimination of France’s Jeremy Chardy.
The oft-injured German, who competed at Roland Garros in 2006, will be the next opponent for either Roger Federer or France’s Paul-Henri Mathieu.
In the women’s draw, Australian Samantha Stosur shocked off-form Russian fourth seed Elena Dementieva 6-3, 4-6, 6-1 to march into the fourth round. Seventh seed Svetlana Kuznetsova stretched this spring’s run of form with a 6-1, 6-3 defeat of Hungarian Melinda Czink.
“I don’t know why it’s happened. I guess because I was working hard and because I love to play on clay,” said Kuznetsova, finalist in recent weeks in Rome and Madrid after winning the Stuttgart title.
“My game is very effective on clay, I know I can play great. The main thing is to keep focused and to play my game, to believe in myself.”
- French Open: Bhupathi, Sania advance to mixed double quarters - Jun 04, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Federer throttles Mathieu to enter second week of US Open - Sep 05, 2010
- Nadal makes winning return at Wimbledon - Jun 22, 2010
- French Open: Top seeds advance to third round - May 31, 2012
- Errani beats Stosur to reach French Open final - Jun 07, 2012
- Hewitt earns right to meet Nadal in French Open - May 29, 2010
- US Open: Djokovic in second round - Aug 29, 2012
- Williams leads women's seeds on Wimbledon opening day - Jun 22, 2010
- Nadal, Li advance to 4th round at French Open - Jun 03, 2012
- French Open: World No.1 Azarenka crashes out - Jun 03, 2012
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal moves forward while Henin eliminated in Paris - Jun 01, 2010
Tags: american man, andy roddick, day in paris, elena dementieva, hot streak, jurgen melzer, marc gicquel, melinda czink, monfils, paul henri mathieu, red clay, roger federer, roland garros, s paul, samantha stosur, shoulder injury, sixth seed, straight sets, svetlana kuznetsova, tommy haas