UN chief to carry Olympic torchJuly 25th, 2012 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, July 25 (IANS) United Nations (UN) secretary-general Ban Ki-moon will visit London July 26-28, during which he will carry the Olympic torch on the final leg of its relay, a UN spokesman announced.
“On Thursday, at the invitation of the London Olympic Organising Committee and the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the secretary-general will carry the Olympic Torch in the final leg of its journey in the United Kingdom in the presence of the president of the IOC,” said Eduardo del Buey, the deputy spokesperson for the UN secretary-general, reports Xinhua.
“It was an honour for the secretary-general, who is a firm believer in sports for development and for peace,” he said.
According to him, after taking part in events related to the opening of the London 2012 Olympics, Ban will attend the Opening Ceremony Friday.
During his visit in London, the UN chief will also hold bilateral meetings with British leaders, including Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Foreign Secretary William Hague, said del Buey.
He added that the secretary-general will be discussing the concept of the Olympic Truce and will meet other leaders who will be in London for the opening of the Games.
- UN chief to visit India - Apr 24, 2012
- Top UN officials to visit Syria - Mar 06, 2012
- UN chief to visit India this week (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Russia urges new UN envoy to stick to Syria peace plan - Aug 18, 2012
- UN delivers Myanmar relief supplies - Mar 31, 2012
- Olympics: Queen 'Bonds' with Craig at opening ceremony - Jul 28, 2012
- Global food prices drop, but remain relatively high: UN - May 04, 2012
- UN estimates another $840 mn needed for Pakistan - Apr 26, 2012
- Eliasson sworn in as deputy UN chief - Jul 03, 2012
- No recovery in sight for global labour market: UN - May 01, 2012
- Child soldiers continue to be recruited in Mali: UNICEF - Jul 07, 2012
- Top UN official to visit Syria - Aug 14, 2012
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Unicef to help displaced women, children of Syria - Mar 24, 2012
- IOC respects Lukashenko ban: Rogge - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympics, ban ki moon, bilateral meetings, british leaders, deputy prime minister, deputy spokesperson, firm believer, honour, international olympic committee, ioc, london 2012 olympics, nick clegg, olympic organising committee, olympic torch, olympic truce, opening ceremony, secretary william, un secretary general, william hague, xinhua