Umpire abandons match after being abused by playersSeptember 6th, 2011 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
Hamilton (Bermuda) Sep 6 (IANS/CMC) A Jamaica-born umpire abandoned a Premier Division match Sunday after being verbally abused by players.
Lester Harnett, a long-time Bermuda resident, pulled up the stumps in the match between Devonshire and Willow Cuts at the Devonshire Recreation Club ground shortly after colleague Bobby Smith, who had been subjected to abuse from players and spectators alike, walked off the field.
Smith was abused after giving Cuts batsman Reggie Tucker Jr out leg before wicket, leaving the visitors reeling at 64 for four after 17 overs in reply to Devonshire’s 139 all out, the Royal Gazette newspaper reported.
Shortly after Tucker’s dismissal Cuts batsman Chris Douglas came out to assist Harnett.
But before play resumed, Harnett decided enough was enough and abandoned the match.
At this point, the Gazette said, Douglas kicked the stumps out of the ground at the western end of the ground before walking off towards the dressing room.
Harnett was also subjected to verbal abuse from Cuts all-rounder Deunte Darrell, the Gazette added, after pulling up the stumps at the opposite end of the ground to signal the end of the low-scoring match that appeared to be heading for an exciting finish.
Cuts’ assistant coach Dexter Basden and Devonshire player/coach Ricky Brangman both declined to comment.
But Bermuda Cricket Board (BCB) technical committee chairman and vice-president Allen Richardson said later the BCB would review the circumstances that led to the match being abandoned.
“The Board will review this matter once we receive the official match report from the umpires and then take the appropriate action,” he said.
- Umpires abandon match after players show dissent over boundary - Sep 20, 2011
- Bermuda U-18 coach replaced for Florida brawl - Jun 28, 2012
- Cricketer banned for five years over fresh assault threat - Jul 20, 2012
- Athletes can hold heads high: Bermuda's chef de mission - Aug 11, 2012
- Weather hits West Indies again, only 18 overs possible - May 07, 2012
- No DRS for Bangladesh-Windies series - Oct 02, 2011
- Final day of Edgbaston Test washed out - Jun 11, 2012
- Roach slapped with fine over Lee incident - Mar 27, 2012
- Bresnan reprimanded for breaching ICC Code of Conduct - Feb 28, 2011
- Rain wrecks Windsor Park debut - Jul 07, 2011
- Rain washes out play in Birmingham Test - Jun 08, 2012
- Sarwan determined to bounce back after low point - Aug 03, 2011
- India A-West Indies share one-day series - Jul 02, 2012
- First day washout dents West Indies' preparations - May 06, 2012
- Referee rebukes Swann for kicking stumps - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: assistant coach, basden, bcb, bobby smith, committee chairman, cricket board, devonshire, dexter, dressing room, hamilton bermuda, player coach, recreation club, rounder, royal gazette, spectators, stumps, technical committee, umpire, verbal abuse, wicket