Ukrainians struck down by dodgy salad: Team doctorJune 7th, 2012 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kiev, June 7 (IANS/RIA Novosti) An outbreak of illness that laid low ten members of Ukraine’s Euro 2012 squad was probably caused by food poisoning from a poor-quality salad, team doctor Leonid Mironov said Thursday.
As a result of the outbreak, several players including ex-Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko and Bayern Munich midfielder Anatoly Tymoshchuk were ruled out of Ukraine’s friendly with Turkey on Tuesday, which the Euro 2012 co-hosts lost 0-2.
Coach Oleg Blokhin claimed that the poisoning could have been the result of “sabotage” by unspecified enemies of the team, in comments on Ukrainian TV on Wednesday.
The explanation is rather more ordinary, Mironov said.
“Upon arrival in Germany at a local hotel, they fed us poor-quality food. Probably, we think, consuming one of the salads led to negative consequences,” he said on the Ukraine 2012 website.
Officials are now investigating how the toxic salad escaped Ukraine’s pair of food tasters, Mironov said.
“The idea is that they test all the food. They set off for the hotel a bit earlier than the team and were supposed to check everything. Now we’ll investigate, find the reasons for what happened.”
Mironov said that some players could take “one or two days” more to recover, depending on how seriously they were affected.
Ukraine plays its first game of the tournament against Sweden on Monday, by which time the players should be back to full fitness.
The Sweden game will be followed by a match against France on June 15, before Ukraine take on England on June 19.
- Ukraine impatient to start Euro campaign: Coach - Jun 11, 2012
- Euro 2012: England win over Ukraine - Jun 20, 2012
- Ukraine's coach Blokhin names Euro 2012 squad - May 30, 2012
- Set pieces crucial to beating England: Shevchenko - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Menez and Cabaye on target as France dominate Ukraine - Jun 16, 2012
- Shevchenko hands Ukraine dream start at Euro 2012 - Jun 12, 2012
- Euro 2012: Menez and Cabaye on target as France dominate Ukraine (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Not the time to celebrate: Shevchenko - Jun 12, 2012
- Ukraine coach hits out at refereeing after Euro exit - Jun 20, 2012
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden - Jun 16, 2012
- Ukraine goalkeeper crisis deepens ahead of Euro 2012 - May 03, 2012
- Leading scorers at Euro 2012 - Jun 18, 2012
- Bayern's Tymoshchuk considering his options - Jul 08, 2012
- We had the margins on our side: Sweden coach - Jun 20, 2012
- Euro 2012: Ukraine coach slams fans for jeering own team - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: anatoly, andriy shevchenko, bayern munich, euro 2012, first game, food poisoning, food tasters, leonid, local hotel, midfielder, mironov, negative consequences, oleg blokhin, poor quality, quality food, ria novosti, sabotage, striker, team doctor, ukrainians