Ukraine boxer Klitschko accuses King of blocking title fightJanuary 29th, 2009 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kiev, Jan 29 (DPA) Ukrainian heavyweight boxer Wladimir Klitschko accused American boxing promoter Don King of blocking an undisputed world heavyweight title bout against Russian Nikolai Valuev.Klitschko, 33, holds the IBF, WBO, and IBO world heavyweight titles. A fight between Klitschko and Valuev, holder of the WBA heavyweight belt, would arguably make the winner the world’s unchallenged top heavyweight fighter.
Wladimir Klitschko’s older brother Vitali, holds the WBC belt, but both Klitschkos have rejected the idea of their ever fighting each other.
“Don King is the problem, he is is setting the rules… so as to make a (undisputed world championship) fight impossible,” Wladimir Klitschko said at a press conference here Wednesday.
“We (the Klitschko brothers) want a fight with Valuev… and it is our understanding that he (Valuev) wants to fight me,” Wladimir Klitschko said. “But it is clear to us Donald King does not want the fight to happen.”
Valuev according to Wladimir Klitschko is managed by two boxing promoters, with King holding right of final approval of terms under which the Russian would fight.
King according to Klitschko has insisted Valuev receive a greater share of the purse than Klitschko, and that King receive sole promotion rights for the new undisputed champion’s next three fights, no matter who wins the Klitschko-Valuev fight.
“These terms obviously are unacceptable to us,” Vitali Klitschko said. “As far as we are concerned, this fight (a Valuev-Wladimir Klitschko bout) would be an extremely interesting matchup between two equal title belt holders, and we are only willing to begin talks from the assumption of a 50 - 50 split of the proceeds.”
Wladimir Klitschko in his last fight successfully defended his three champion belts in a December bout against American Hasim Rahman, stopping Rahman with a 7th round TKO.
Vitali Klitschko held onto his WBC belt with 7th round win in October against Nigerian Samuel Peter, and is scheduled to fight Cuban challenger Juan Carlos Gomez in March.
King, 76, has been a longtime controversial figure in American sports, and has faced numerous multi-million dollar lawsuits over the years from boxers, including former champs Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson, who argued he cheated them out of money.
- Klitschko brothers vow to send WBA champ Haye into retirement - Dec 27, 2010
- Haye needs to prove himself before taking on Klitschko brothers: Tyson - Jul 17, 2010
- Brit boxers David Haye, Carl Froch set to defend world titles in London - Jan 22, 2011
- I'll retire if I don't get fights: Holyfield - Sep 12, 2012
- European champ Audley says UK's Haye won't beat Klitschko brothers - Apr 15, 2010
- Vitali Klitschko defends WBC heavyweight title in one-punch knockout - Mar 21, 2011
- I will hit Wladimir Klitschko in ring to make Vitali come out and fight: Haye - Mar 07, 2011
- Vitali may replace injured brother Wladimir to fight Haye - Mar 08, 2011
- WBC champ Klitschko itching to 'shut Haye's big mouth' - May 31, 2010
- Haye wants to conclusively rip Wladimir Klitschko's face to shreds - Mar 17, 2011
- Haye fumes at Klitschkos for avoiding bout with him - Jan 06, 2011
- Haye to practice by hitting out at Klitschko's dummy - Apr 22, 2011
- Wladimir Klitschko is fit to face me, says David Haye - Apr 02, 2011
- Heavyweight boxer Vitali Klitschko unhappy with Gomez fight - Nov 08, 2008
- Haye's manager heads for Germany to resolve ticketing war - May 02, 2011
Tags: boxing promoter, boxing promoters, hasim rahman, heavyweight belt, heavyweight boxer, heavyweight fighter, klitschko brothers, klitschkos, last fight, nikolai valuev, promoter don king, title bout, undisputed champion, undisputed world, vitali klitschko, wbo, wladimir klitschko, world championship fight, world heavyweight title, world heavyweight titles