UK rower aims to be first woman to cross Indian Ocean soloMarch 15th, 2009 - 12:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar.15 (ANI): British rower Sarah Outen has launched her bid to become the first woman, and the youngest person to row solo across the Indian Ocean. Twenty-three-year-old Outen was watched by a handful of friends as she set off on her 3,000 nautical mile journey from Australia to Mauritius, reports The Telegraph. Outen, who has been a keen rower since she was 14, described her voyage as “very exciting, record-breaking, and an ever so slightly crazy sort of challenge”.
She decided several years ago that she wanted to row across the Indian Ocean, but originally planned to do it as part of a team.
However, after her father died suddenly in 2006 she decided to go solo and has dedicated her quest to raising money for research into rheumatoid arthritis, the disease he battled for 20 years.
“I hope that one day people won”t have to suffer like my dad did,” she said.
Outen’’s voyage is expected to last around 100 days and will test both her physical fitness and psychological strength.
She will be rowing up to 12 hours a day, and is likely to face many challenges including storms, huge seas, currents, heat and unfavourable winds, as well as the dangers of shipping traffic. (ANI)
- UK's Sarah Outen becomes first woman to row across Indian Ocean - Aug 05, 2009
- Katie Spotz: The youngest person to row across the Atlantic - Mar 16, 2010
- Jessica Watson completes around the world sail - May 16, 2010
- Laura Dekker finishes her solo sailing sojourn - Jan 12, 2012
- Brit woman rower strips off with her five-man crew to break world record - Feb 09, 2011
- Dutch girl youngest to sail around-the-globe solo - Jan 22, 2012
- Fourteen Year Old Dutch Sets Sail on Solo World Trip - Aug 04, 2010
- Australian PM welcomes youngest around-the-world sailor - May 16, 2010
- Australian teen sets sail round the world - Oct 18, 2009
- Navy's 'Mhadei' to sail non-stop from Goa to Cape Town - Nov 24, 2010
- 16-year-old Queensland teen sets sail for record attempt - Oct 18, 2009
- Denise Van Outen gives Vanilla Ice a waxing to raise money for charity - Mar 11, 2011
- Brit boy, 17, becomes youngest solo round-the-world sailor - Aug 27, 2009
- 'Bouncer' protein halts rheumatoid arthritis - Sep 22, 2011
- Abby Sunderland wants to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the world solo - Jan 25, 2010
Tags: arthritis, australia, challenges, currents, dad, first woman, handful of friends, indian ocean, keen rower, london, mauritius, mile journey, physical fitness, raising money, rheumatoid arthritis, shipping traffic, storms, telegraph