UEFA investigates Russian Euro 2012 fans (Lead)June 10th, 2012 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, June 10 (IANS/RIA Novosti) European football’s governing body UEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against Russia for what it described as the “improper conduct of its supporters” during Friday’s Euro 2012 game against the Czech Republic in Wroclaw.
“After having looked at the security reports and available images, UEFA announced Sunday that disciplinary proceedings have been opened against the Football Union of Russia (RFS) for the improper conduct of its supporters (crowd disturbances), the setting off and throwing of fireworks and the display of illicit banners at Friday’s UEFA match,” UEFA said in a statement.
Four stewards required medical treatment after being attacked by fans at Wroclaw’s Munipal Stadium before the match, which was won by Russia.
UEFA’s Control and Disciplinary Body will review the case on June 13.
There were also reports of alleged racist abuse directed at the Czech defender Theodor Gebre Selassie, who is black.
RFS head Sergei Fursenko said it was “difficult to comment” on the outcome of the proceedings as security matters are being dealt with by Poland and UEFA, but said that Russia would likely face a fine of 10,000 euros ($12,500).
In another incident, Polish police arrested four Russian football fans on Saturday for disorderly behavior in a Wroclaw bar.
The fans caused the bar some 3,000 zlotys ($875) of material damage, the Russian Interior Ministry said. They are to stand trial later, Sunday.
Turkish police said earlier four Russians were fined 1,000 euros ($1,250) each after brawling with Turkish nationals in a Warsaw cafe, June 7.
- Russian interior ministry confirms fans' arrests - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012 racism claims nonsense: Russian minister - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: UEFA to probe Russian fans behaviour - Jun 10, 2012
- Russia, Spain hit with UEFA charges of racism - Jun 26, 2012
- Rowdy Russian fans head for Warsaw - Jun 15, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russia fined 120,000 euros for crowd trouble - Jun 14, 2012
- UEFA fines Russia and Spain over racism - Jun 29, 2012
- Moscow tightens security for Polish embassy - Jun 16, 2012
- Racial abuse reported against Balotelli at Euro 2012 - Jun 16, 2012
- UEFA proceeds English FA over fans' pitch invasion - Jun 17, 2012
- Russian football chief resigns after Euro failure - Jun 26, 2012
- Polish president slams hooliganism at Euro 2012 - Jun 15, 2012
- Russia beat Czech Republic 4-1 in Euro 2012 - Jun 09, 2012
- UEFA must punish Russian FA over flare: Polish FA - Jun 11, 2012
- Warsaw pitch average: Russia's Nababkin - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,