UEFA fines Russia and Spain over racismJune 29th, 2012 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Nyon (Switzerland), June 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Russian and Spanish football federations have been fined 30,000 and 20,000 euros respectively for racist chanting by their fans at Euro 2012, UEFA said Friday.
Russia’s case relates to their opening 4-1 win over the Czech Republic June 8, when an anti-racist observer in the crowd reported monkey chants directed at Czech defender Theodor Gebre Selassie, who is black.
The punishment will complete a total of 215,000 euros in fines for the Russian Football Union received after three group games.
Russia were fined 120,000 euros and given a suspended six-point deduction for the next qualification tournament when some fans assaulted Polish stewards, reportedly leaving four requiring hospital treatment after the Czech game.
The pyrotechnics use, illicit banners and pitch invasion of Russian fans during a second group match against co-hosts Poland in Warsaw June 12 resulted in a 30,000 euros penalty.
The third fine, which was put at 35,000 euros, was issued for illegal banners and flares during the 0-1 defeat to Greece that eliminated Russia from the tournament July 16.
The Spanish federation’s charge relates to their opening 1-1 draw with Italy, after which a Spanish fan representative said that some in the crowd had aimed racist abuse at Italy’s Mario Balotelli.
The only other racism case dealt by UEFA at Euro 2012 saw Croatia fined 80,000 euros last week for racism and the use of flares in their 1-1 draw with Italy.
- Russia, Spain hit with UEFA charges of racism - Jun 26, 2012
- Euro 2012: UEFA fines Croatia for racism - Jun 20, 2012
- Racial abuse reported against Balotelli at Euro 2012 - Jun 16, 2012
- UEFA investigates Russian Euro 2012 fans (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012 racism claims nonsense: Russian minister - Jun 10, 2012
- Russian interior ministry confirms fans' arrests - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: UEFA to probe Russian fans behaviour - Jun 10, 2012
- Moscow tightens security for Polish embassy - Jun 16, 2012
- Rowdy Russian fans head for Warsaw - Jun 15, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russia fined 120,000 euros for crowd trouble - Jun 14, 2012
- Polish court to hear appeals by jailed Russian fans - Jul 10, 2012
- Czech defender Selassie joins Werder - Jun 22, 2012
- Russia beat Czech Republic 4-1 in Euro 2012 - Jun 09, 2012
- UEFA must punish Russian FA over flare: Polish FA - Jun 11, 2012
- Over 180 arrested in Warsaw football clashes: Police (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: chants, euro 2012, flares, group games, pitch invasion, qualification tournament, racism, racist abuse, ria novosti, russian fans, russian football union, second group, selassie, spanish fan, spanish federation, spanish football, stewards, uefa, vm, warsaw