UCI to check for electric motors in bicycles at the Tour de FranceJune 24th, 2010 - 7:43 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Liestal, Jun 24 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The International Cycling Union said that they are planning to check if the bicycles have concealed motors in their frames, at the upcoming Tour de France. They want to make sure that the participants in the prestigious race are not cheating on the others, through the usage of the motors.
The International Cycling Union released a statement in which they said that, “a scanner will be used from the time of the Tour de France.” One of the probable reasons of such an extreme step could be because of the Swiss rider Fabian Cancellara. There were speculations that he had won the titles of the Paris-Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders in 2010, with the aid of a motorized bicycle. These rumors had taken birth because there was a video, in which it is clearly seen that Fabian was depressing a button on his bike on both the races, which he had won.
He had steadfastly denied all such accusations, but all the same the UCI plans to go ahead with their plans to check the bicycles in the future, with scanners to rule out all such speculations.
“From now on race service will be subject to stricter regulation in order to ensure that only equipment that has been checked at the start or finish can be used during competitions,” according to the UCI.
- Bicycles To Undergo Checks At Tour De France - Jun 24, 2010
- ICU To Scrutinize Electric Bicycles At The Tour De France - Jun 24, 2010
- Swiss cyclist Cancellara laughs off claims of winning races with electric bike - Jun 03, 2010
- Sagan makes it three stage wins on Tour - Jul 07, 2012
- Sagan wins again as crashes hit Tour de France - Jul 05, 2012
- Second stage of Tour de France gets underway - Jul 05, 2009
- Tour de France winner Contador suspended due to doping case - Jan 27, 2011
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov wins gold in Olympic road race - Jul 28, 2012
- Ex-world cycling champion Rasmussen gets 18-month ban - Jul 05, 2012
- Wiggins wins time trial to become Britain's top Olympian - Aug 02, 2012
- Tour de France champion Contador suspended after failing drug test - Sep 30, 2010
- Tour de France winner Alberto Contador receives one-year doping ban - Jan 27, 2011
- Fabian Cancellara Wins Stage 1 Of Tour De France 2009 - Jul 05, 2009
- Contador may face formal doping probe - Nov 10, 2010
- Former world champion banned from Tour de France - Jun 19, 2009
Tags: accusations, bicycles, competitions, extreme step, fabian cancellara, international cycling union, jun 24, liestal, motorized bicycle, paris roubaix, participants, prestigious race, scanner, scanners, speculations, tour de france, tour of flanders, uci