U-19 World Cup: India lose to West Indies by 4 wicketsAugust 12th, 2012 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Townsville (Australia), Aug 12 (IANS) The West Indies’ decision to base themselves in Australia ahead of the Under-19 Cricket World Cup provided an immediate outcome here Sunday, when they beat two-time champions India by four wickets.
The West Indies kicked off their campaign with a successful run chase against India, who were restricted to 166 for eight.
Wicketkeeper-batsman Smit Patel top scored for the side, hitting a patient 51 before being bowled by paceman Ronsford Beaton, who finished as the most successful West Indies bowler with three for 33.
Right-arm medium-pacer Kyle Mayers claimed the important wicket of India captain Unmukt Chand (22) and was consistent, ending with two for 35 from 10 overs.
India’s fast bowler Sandeep Sharma (2-27) snared the early wickets of the West Indies captain Kraigg Brathwaite (four) and Sunil Ambris (four).
But John Campbell (36) and Anthony Alleyne (52) put the West Indies back on track with a 58-run third-wicket partnership. For the fifth wicket, Alleyne and Kyle Mayers (43) put on another 58 runs after the West Indies had slipped from 71 for two to 75 for four.
India’s left-arm spinner Harmeet Singh was handy with the ball picking up three wickets but unfortunately not enough to successfully defend the Indian total.
Mayers, who was adjudged player of the match, later said: “India had some quality spinners and I thought they bowled really well with great variation. I tried to bowl as tight as possible to create some pressure and eventually it worked out.”
In the other matches Sunday, South Africa got their tournament underway by overcoming Bangladesh by 133 runs, New Zealand did not miss a beat against qualifier Scotland by winning their Group B match by 39 runs, and England bounced back from Saturday’s defeat to Australia to beat Ireland by seven wickets in a Group C match.
- ICC U-19 World Cup: Windies clash with Kiwis for semi-final spot - Aug 19, 2012
- 16 teams named for next month's U-19 cricket World Cup - Jul 12, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: India pip Pakistan to enter semis (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Coach backs young Windies to excel in World Cup - Jul 13, 2012
- Windies name U-19 squad for India quadrangular - Sep 09, 2011
- Windies beat Zimbabwe by six wickets to reach quarters - Aug 17, 2012
- U-19: Australia, Pakistan, Windies win - Aug 13, 2012
- India tottering at 57/4 chasing 220-run target - Jun 12, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: Pakistan on track for worst finish - Aug 22, 2012
- India A 22/3 chasing 186 to win first 'Test' - Jun 05, 2012
- West Indies end Day One at 256/5 - Nov 06, 2011
- Johnson and Permaul maul India A by 125 runs - Jun 13, 2012
- Pujara's 50 fails to stop West Indies from taking lead - Jun 11, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: Sri Lanka beat Afghanistan, win Plate Championship - Aug 24, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: India set up title clash with Australia (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: alleyne, ambris, arm medium, beaton, brathwaite, chand, cricket world cup, four wickets, harmeet, john campbell, mayers, medium pacer, right arm, sandeep sharma, seven wickets, spinners, time champions, west indies, wicket partnership, wicketkeeper