Tyson’s love for pigeons mirrors Brando’s ‘Waterfront’ boxer characterJanuary 24th, 2011 - 1:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 24 (ANI): It seems Mike Tyson has some similarities with the boxer character actor Marlon Brando played in 1954 movie ‘On The Waterfront’, with both sharing a love for pigeons.
Tyson, 44, the self-styled “baddest man on the planet”, is to be featured in a six-part series on the Animal Planet channel, and his fascination with pigeons brings to mind Terry Malloy, the character that earned Brando an Oscar.
Like Brando’s character, Tyson has long raised pigeons, starting where he grew up in a tough part of Brooklyn, New York, and both found solace in the raising of birds from the rooftops of New Jersey.
Tyson now keeps his birds at another rooftop coop in New Jersey, next to the gym where he trained for fights, and he still spends hours at a time watching his pets, saying they gave him comfort during his turbulent life.
In the show that will be broadcast from March 6, Tyson will describe how he threw his first punch at the age of 10 when a bully killed one of his birds.
“The reason for the fight was because the guy ripped the head off my pigeon. This was the first thing I ever loved in my life, the pigeon,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
“I don’t know why, I feel ridiculous just trying to explain it. They’re so much like people.
“This ain’t no hobby, I’ve been dedicated to pigeons, even when I have been fighting or getting locked up. What I love about the pigeon is their loyalty,” he stated. (ANI)
- Mike Tyson's new documentary series is all about his love for pigeons - Feb 25, 2011
- Mike Tyson's Love For Pigeon To Be Featured By Animal Planet - Jan 08, 2011
- Mike Tyson: pigeon racer - Mar 16, 2010
- Mike Tyson's first love was a pigeon! - Mar 07, 2011
- Mike Tyson Feels Ridiculous, Yet Loves The Pigeon - Jan 25, 2011
- Mike Tyson to showcase his passion for pigeons in a new TV show - Mar 16, 2010
- I've found happiness with pigeons: Mike Tyson (Interview) (With Images) - Jun 08, 2011
- PETA alleges that Mike Tyson's game show encourages gambling - Mar 22, 2010
- Mike Tyson back to Brooklyn for new reality show on racing pigeons - Jan 07, 2011
- Mike Tyson threw his first punch over dead pigeon - Mar 12, 2011
- Budd Schulberg: "On The Waterfront" Writer Dies At 95 - Aug 06, 2009
- PETA fighting to stop Mike Tyson's reality show featuring pigeon racing - Mar 22, 2010
- Mike Tyson now wants to dance and sing - Sep 13, 2012
- Mike Tyson gets back in the ring for his new TV show five years after retiring - Mar 15, 2011
- PETA protests pigeon racing outside Mike Tyson's home - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: animal planet, animal planet channel, baddest man, boxer, brooklyn new york, bully, character actor, coop, fascination, jan 24, london jan, loyalty, marlon brando, mike tyson, on the waterfront, pigeon, pigeons, rooftops, solace, turbulent life