Two tough defences as Barca host SevillaOctober 21st, 2011 - 5:09 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Oct 21 (IANS) Two of the tightest defences in Spanish football will go head to head when FC Barcelona entertain Sevilla at the Camp Nou stadium Saturday night.
Barcelona go into the game top of the table with just three goals conceded all campaign, while Sevilla have received just four goals. Both sides remain unbeaten in the league.
However, while Sevilla have scored just eight goals in their seven matches to date, Barcelona have found the target 26 times, an average of almost four a game, reports Xinhua.
Pep Guardiola’s side go into the match on the back of a 2-0 win over Viktoria Plzen in the Champions League after a performance in which they showed their traditional virtues of moving the ball fluidly and quickly only to miss a hatful of chances.
Lionel Messi saw two shots hit the woodwork and failed to score, but despite that the Argentine has still managed to score 16 goals in 13 appearances during the campaign.
Guardiola played a strong side against the Czechs, although he did rest club captain Carles Puyol, who should return to the side Saturday allowing Eric Abidal to move across to left back.
Cesc Fabrigas is also available after recovering from a muscle problem, although the former Arsenal player will probably start the game on the bench. Meanwhile, former Sevilla midfielder Seydou Keita could start the match if Guardiola decides to carry out his habitual team rotations.
Sevilla travel to Barcelona without striker Alvaro Negredo, who is injured. The club President, Jose Maria del Nido has been a vociferous critic of the distribution of TV rights which sees Barcelona earn over three times more than his side every season.
Del Nido insists that the distribution of TV money means the Primera Liga is effectively a two horse race between Barca and Madrid and a heavy Barca win would effectively back up his claim.
Nevertheless, Sevilla will take to the pitch wearing shirts bearing the logo ‘proud of Andalusia’ and with the aim of making Andalusia proud of Sevilla.
- Midfielder Keita to leave Barcelona - Jul 08, 2012
- Real Madrid on brink of La Liga title - Apr 30, 2012
- Barcelona look to bounce back against Osasuna - Sep 16, 2011
- Messi back from India to resume Spanish liga action - Sep 09, 2011
- Not giving up Primera Liga title: Guardiiola - Jan 30, 2012
- Guardiola refuses to give up on La Liga title - Jan 29, 2012
- Barcelona look to close gap with Madrid - Mar 15, 2012
- Barcelona squad at limit for Malaga trip - Jan 20, 2012
- Barcelona must beat Real Sociedad at home - Feb 03, 2012
- Must win game for Barca as Betis visit Camp Nou - Jan 14, 2012
- Barcelona take on Espanyol in city derby - Jan 07, 2012
- Injury hit Barca can't afford mistakes in Villarreal - Jan 27, 2012
- Messi won't leave Barcelona for money - Nov 04, 2011
- Messi strikes thrice in Barcelona's 8-0 rout of Osasuna - Sep 18, 2011
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
Tags: arsenal player, camp nou stadium, carles puyol, club captain, club president, czechs, defences, eric abidal, fc barcelona, lionel messi, muscle problem, pep guardiola, plzen, primera liga, spanish football, strong side, target, traditional virtues, tv money, tv rights