Two stabbed in violence ahead of Champions League finalMay 27th, 2009 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, May 27 (DPA) Two fans were stabbed and several people arrested ahead of the Champions League final between holders Manchester United and Barcelona at Rome’s Stadio Olimpico, Italian media reported.
Police arrested four hooligans who stabbed a US citizen in the thigh, believing he was a United supporter, on Tuesday night in Ostia, a seaside town west of the capital,
An Englishman was stabbed in a Rome square by unidentified assailants.
Three Spanish supporters who were carrying clubs and a javelin in their car were arrested Wednesday as they drove toward Rome.
Also arrested Tuesday night were two United fans for assaulting police officers. The owner of a pub in Rome’s central Campo de Fiori square called the police as the two drunk Englishmen, aged 19 and 45, were harassing other customers.
Alcohol-related violence was reported in the night in Pisa, where United and local fans clashed in a square. Three Englishmen were treated for minor injuries.
Several flights from England have landed in the Tuscany town, 350 km north of Rome, ahead of the final.
The sale of alcohol was banned in large areas of Rome from Tuesday afternoon to Thursday morning. It appears, however, that drinks were available to many of the 50,000 fans expected in the city for the final.
Patrols made up of Italian, English and Spanish officers were deployed to guarantee safety in the city.
- US marine held for raping minor girl in Italy - May 30, 2012
- Man U fans should stay clear of Rome hotspots - May 20, 2009
- Police arrest 20 after Barcelona victory party riots (Lead) - May 28, 2009
- Army of Man U fans ready to paint Rome red - May 26, 2009
- Swiss Busacca to referee in Champions League final - May 26, 2009
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Juventus beat Atalanta to lead midway in Serie A - Jan 22, 2012
- Sturridge subjected to racial chants in Napoli - Feb 21, 2012
- Chelsea fan assaulted by Juventus supporters - Mar 11, 2009
- Roma striker Osvaldo to be suspended for punching teammate - Nov 28, 2011
- Imperial period Roman ship unearthed near Rome - May 01, 2011
- Lazio beat Novara 3-0 to consolidate position in Serie A - Dec 06, 2011
- 2,000-year-old ship found near Rome - Apr 30, 2011
- Spanish football fans celebrate victory - Jul 02, 2012
- Roma coach ecstatic after win over Napoli - Dec 19, 2011
Tags: campo de fiori, champions league final, englishman, englishmen, hooligans, italian english, italian media, javelin, manchester united, minor injuries, pisa, police officers, s central, seaside town, spanish officers, stadio olimpico, thursday morning, tuesday afternoon, tuscany, unidentified assailants